Other
Country
US
State
ma
City
boston
Hi,

Thank you for allowing me to post a question here. What a wonderful support site for those in need, although I am terribly sorry Anyone need be here. Im a 37 male who recently got foot drop. Had an emg done/was negative thankfully. I am due for further testing. I never mentioned als to the Dr because quite frankly I didnt think about it until someone mentioned it to me. (I wish they hadn't) but now that the cat is out of the bag, I am thinking, would the emg show anything if the foot drop was due to als?

I am grateful to your response & anxiously awaiting your thoughts. Thank you!

If you had ALS it would show up on an EMG. Since your EMG was negative you should be able to put ALS out of your mind.

My husband had foot drop when he had his first EMG- it revealed denervation & re-inervation, which is suggestive of ALS, that is the EMG results, not the foot drop.

My Dad has foot drop- he does not have ALS, he has spinal stenosis- which compresses the nerves. There are many causes of foot drop that can be treated through physical therapy or surgery. Finish your testing; in the meantime, relax- odds are against ALS.
Tell your friend to stop "mentioning things"- he doesn't know the facts!

Thank you JoelC & Mare,

That certainly takes a load off my shoulders! I was hesitant to call the Dr and ask because I wanted to first find out the status of a negative emg being against als.

Im so sorry for both of you, Im sure its not been an easy road.

Mare, may I ask, did your husbands foot drop come on suddenly? Mine seemed to just appear. Did he have any symptoms prior? I only noticed I was dragging my foot, nothing preceeded that?

I have an mri scheduled.

Thank you, your help has been so grately appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back