Country
US
State
ny
City
ny
RE: MY APPMT today w/ neoro & My Pinky toe

Hi,

Thank you ((TRFROGGY)), I was thinking it may be the starting of weekness, before it affects the foot itself?

I went to Manhattan to an ALS Clinic today & saw the director. They had a cancelation.
He said that my pinky was week but that the foot itself was not. Did not really have an answer but said ALS does not typically appear this way although my pinky toe is clearly week?

He did an EMG /Nerve test & said everything was perfect with that. He said the test would show any lower MN disease & upper is noted by the physician, clinically. My knee reflexes are brisk but he said so are most peoples.

He thought I may have a possible pinched nerve but did the EMG on my lower back & that too was good.

I asked if this could be the beginning of ALS, like a dropped pinky toe". He said No, not to worry...........

Im happy but still wondering........why is my pinky toe not working/moving like it use to?

Thx for your help,

Re: MY APPMT today w/ neoro & My Pinky toe

"Dropped pinky toe." That's a good one Ray! I know you are worried but I hope you can keep a sense of humor.

As far as the cause, it could be a lot of things. Our bodies do not work perfectly and if you start putting them under the microscope I'll bet almost everyone could find some abnormality, oddity or difference between their two sides.

Anyway that is great news about the clean EMG. That should set your mind at ease about ALS.

Good God man. You found 1 person with toe drop to justify your quest to have ALS. You are a very sick person, but not with ALS.

AL.

I just read the article. I still find this very hard to believe, toes don't drop. In advanced ALS they curl, like fingers. Has anyone every seen a drop finger?

rayray,

You have found an article that was written by a non-medical person whose grasp of medical concepts is, unfortunately, not much better than yours. Everything described in that early part of that article is completely consistent with descriptions of foot drop. The author simply didn't know the proper term to use.

You should be quite sympathetic to the mistakes that author made -- they are the ones you have been making ever since you showed up here. When you misused medical terms here, people here spent a lot of time and energy explaining things to you, often over several posts, until you "got it."

Well, I hope you got some satisfaction from flinging that article on the table, because I'm done answering questions from you. For some sick and perverse reason, you have to have this diagnosis, whether it is real or not. So have at it. Obviously I have wasted the time I spent helping you.

I have not been able to move my pinky toe and the one next to it for years, and I do not have als, mine is some sort of nueropathy. Go out and have some fun and quit worrying and over analyzing, margaret

Hi to all,

(( TrFogey))),

I am terribly sorry I have agravated you. I feel awful! This is not my intention. I KNOW you have answered my questions with such clearness & honesty & have gone out of your way to do so. I can never say Thank You enough! (To you & many others here).

The people here are very knowledgeable about als & this is why I ask my questions. Yes, it may be clearer to you & others (Because of the knowledge you have) but I obviously dont know much about als. I know it starts with weekness & I CANT move a toe that I did 2 weeks ago so as a human, it sounds typical of als, to me. You must know something different.

Its like telling my 5 year old that "out" is not spelled "owt"........he just doesn't get it. He keeps asking. I KNOW how to spell it & just want him to "get it" but he doesn't.

Im NOT trying to upset ANYONE here. To do so would hurt me deeply. I am a kind, caring mother & person & I only wanted to be sure that I dont need to worry about als.

You have extended yourselves to me & I thank you all. Please accept my sincere apology if I created any frustrations.

Trfogey: I sent you a PM also.

Hi, I was hoping Id hear from Trfogey........I just want to know that he accepts my apology & understands I never meant to cause any problems. Once again, I apologize to everyone if I didn't understand & kept asking questions.

rayray, what a nice apology, and please understand the frustration, just like you feel when you think your kids should "get it." take the advice and even the criticism, then let go and live life. don't waste time..it is too precious....even i tell myself, "enough of that...move on" like yesterday when my seven year old said als sucks. i told him everyone with als would say you are exactly right. i asked him why he thinks als sucks, and he said because people die from it. keep als far away from your mind unless and until you have absolutely no other choice.

nice to see a poster with some humility to express their regret if they have hurt or upset those dealing with disease day in and out.

take care

rayray--- not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd let you know that I have also had the "dead pinky" (Hal is right; you gotta laugh at that) but it was in my hand. After exertion, the pinky finger on my right hand will occasionally stop functioning. It will flop around on the keyboard, I won't be able to spread it out like the rest of my fingers, and when I place my hand on the table palm down, I can't lift that finger up.

Something is going on in our bodies that makes that happen; nerve entrapment, irritation, who knows. Anything we guess would just be speculating. But it's not characteristic of ALS.

Thx Everyone & thx Paleshia & Andy........I still havent heard back from Tfogey but I hope he read my apology.

I called my Neurologist & spoke to him & told him I was still concerned w/ als. He just told me that I should put it out of my mind. (Easier said than done)

He realizes my pinky toe isn't moving & its clinically week but he said, he can say with CERTAINTY (I was surprised he used this word) it isn't als.........said that the emg was good. So, I guess the Emg is really "THE" diagnostic tool.

If it has so much power, why do so many people still worry after a clean one? (I forgot to ask him that!)

Hugs to all!

CONGRATULATIONS! That is super news. Now you can relax and enjoy your life!

Excellent news. You certainly can't ask for much more than a doctor telling you "with certainty" that it isn't ALS. If your weak toe was caused by ALS, it would have shown up on the EMG. The best thing to take from this experience is a renewed appreciation for each day of your life.

Hi

Did you ever find out what was the cause? My BIG toe is weeker than my other foot and I cant curl it under?
Please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back