Cant Move Pinky toe.......ALS? I need you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray123

Reason
Other
Country
US
State
ny
City
ny
Hi Friends,

So, Ive noticed, my left pinky toe is a hanging a bit off to the side. (I never noticed this before). Sort of drooping down. Just the pinky toe.

When I put my finger UNDER my right pinky toe and curl my toes downward, I can feel pressure under that toe .

When I do this under my LEFT pinky toe, I can feel it VERY slight but not as near as strong as my right toe.

Also when I spread my right foot, the pinky toe stretches outward. The left use to but no more. Its weeker than the right.

The other toes & foot itself are fine......Its just that pinky. Im 39/Female.

Possible ALS?

rayray,

Not likely at all. The usual initial symptom of leg onset ALS is a dropped foot, not weak toes. I've never had a doctor attempt to test the strength in my toes, but they test the strength of both of my ankles every time they see me.

Stop trying to diagnose yourself. Go to a doctor and get some real answers instead of playing this childish 20 questions game that you are so fond of playing.

I have a similar problem that has happened in the past few weeks. When I stretch my toes out, my left pinky toe and others doesn't stretch to the left like my right foot toes do to the right. The toes curl slightly. I have full strength in the toes though, at least as far as I can see.

I think you have P.T.D (Pinky Toe Disease).

Quote from your other post RayRay re the pinky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you ((TRFROGGY)), I was thinking it may be the starting of weekness, before it affects the foot itself?

I went to Manhattan to an ALS Clinic today & saw the director. They had a cancelation.
He said that my pinky was week but that the foot itself was not. Did not really have an answer but said ALS does not typically appear this way although my pinky toe is clearly week?

He did an EMG /Nerve test & said everything was perfect with that. He said the test would show any lower MN disease & upper is noted by the physician, clinically. My knee reflexes are brisk but he said so are most peoples.

He thought I may have a possible pinched nerve but did the EMG on my lower back & that too was good.

I asked if this could be the beginning of ALS, like a dropped pinky toe". He said No, not to worry...........

Im happy but still wondering........why is my pinky toe not working/moving like it use to?

Thx for your help,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that answer from the doc I would go out and enjoy life. (or it could be what Zaphoon said P.T.D) :)

cheers
Peter

Guys, I appreciate your input, I REALLY DO!

I know it all sounds ridiculous but if ALS can start in a Finger digit, why not a toe digit?

So the EMG would have showed something?

Its weird, my pinky is dead", just hanging apart from the other toes & no strength at all. It just drooped? Go figure.

The Dr said It is Definately week..........Im afraid it'll spread & the next toe suddenly wont move & then the next, then the foot, ect...

Am I really thinking foolish? :sad:

Rayray,

Be careful what you ask the folks on the forum! We are known to be painfully honest and straightforward...:shock:

Am I really thinking foolish?

ummmm-not a doctor, but...yeah. Stop looking for awful~ You have SOMETHING going on, but honestly...stop trying to make it into ALS

Your doctor acknowledges your weakness, but you have a clean EMG, which is a basic diagnostic tool. A weak pinky toe does not make ALS...As long as the doctors and your tests do not give you any validation, then it's SOMETHING treatable. Keep looking...

I hope you take this note with the spirit it is intended...As the CALS of someone learning how to LIVE with MND, there are a ridiculous number of other possibilities. I WISH our doctor had never given us the diagnostic possibility of ALS, because that means no treatment hope. Please, get your mind off ALS...I hope you are able to get some clarity on your health concerns...
Peace,

Melody

Ty all,

1) So The EMG/nerve conduction would've showed something?

It feels like a lil charlie horse cramp is seperated the pinky toe from the other toes, leaving a gap in between? With this, the pinky has no strength, like before.

2) If the weekness (which was obvious to the Neurologist) WAS indeed from als weekness is this considered LMN & would that have been picked up by the Emg/nerve testing?

3) Could the Dr just be waiting till the weekness travels to the other toes/ foot?

Im a single mom & worried..........Sorry to be a bother,

God Bless

I have to ask. When you walk in a room and its dark, do you:
  1. Don gas mask and prepare because terrorists have dropped a nuclear weapon filled with sarin gas and zombie building nanobots on the power station
  2. Call the police because thieves have stolen all the electrical wiring from your home
  3. Run to the phone to call the power company and complain about the loss of power
or do you turn on the light switch?

Stop jumping to far-fetched conclusions with absolutely no backing. It's estimated that by the time an ALS patient has symptoms that send them to a doctor that they've lost 50 - 60% of their motor neurons. So yes the EMG would have shown something.

I can't even reply! JEFF Agree with you!

Just watched the Clint Eastwood movie about Iwo Jima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back