Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
For the last 4 months, I have had a stuffy nose every night at bed. I don't believe it is linked to allergies because I take allergy medication and have no problem during the day. However, at night, I will wake up and my left nostril will be completely stuffed up. This is the side I sleep on. As soon as I'm up for about 5 minutes, it will clear. Does anyone that is diagnosed suffer from this condition? Is it an early symptom and does it only happen at night or all the time? Thank you for your help.

I get phlegm every night at bed time. Cough and hack for half an hour or so to get it up. Maybe I'm allergic to my bed or something.

AL.

I am always better sitting up compared to laying down, I think that the phlem issue is mainly caused by laying down and it is better if I lay on my side but most of my problem is in my throat not my nose so I can't really help Michelle. Have you tried any nasal sprays?

I have tried Flonase, which helps quite a bit. I just find it odd that every night my left nostril is completely stuffy in the morning and within minutes of being up, it is cleared. I don't really suffer from phlegm problems.

I use nasonex when needed. The thing to keep in mind is to check how long you can use the spray. A lot of sprays are 3 - 7 days. After using them that long , you will be making things worse. Nasonex, according to my doc is safe for extended use.

Glen

Last edited:
My mom get congested and mucus every afternoon. Mucus thinners create post-nasal drip, so she is going to try nasonex. But we are also going to try relflexology to help clear mucus and help cough. We'll keep all posted.

Is it more of a chronic congestion for you guys, or just at nighttime? Thanks.

night time mostly.

Is it mostly one side of your nose or both sides? I only get stuffy on the side I lay on.

Every day is something new. Left side , right side and the big one , both sides.

One trick I use is to lie on my side with the blocked side on top. I do not know why ... it just works for me.

If you get stuffed up and mucousy, try a neti pot. Dr. Oz recommends them <g>. Hubby has trouble with getted plugged with mucous and uses our neti pot each evening. It look like a little plastic tea pot and you buy individual pouches of salt and baking soda combined , which is a non-irritating solution and mix the pouch with warm water, put the tea pot spout in one nostril, and hang over the sink and let the water rush in and it runs out your other nostril, repeat in the other nostril. Works super well and isn't too pricey. About $20 for the pot and and hundred or so pouches. You can use indefinitely--much like the Nansonex but does a better job and is cheaper. Google neti pot and you can watch a demo.
Laurel

Thank you so much for all of the responses. Did you guys notice the nasal stuffiness early on in your diagnoses or much later?

What makes you think that ALS has anything to do with this problem? I've had this problem, off and on, for as long as I can remember -- nearly 50 years. Given where you live, air pollution is a more likely cause.

I'm not jumping to that. I'm thankful for the advice. I just find it odd that this started happening around the same time that my tongue has started having constant fasciculations and the neuro's are wanting to write a medical journey on me because they have no clue what I have, but know that it is connected to something. I appreciate all the kind responses though

oops....I meant to say "journal" and not "journey."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back