Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
Lothian
City
edinburgh
Ok, this all started about 6 months ago when I went over on my ankle when I was out. Even though it didn't seem like a bad injury at the time, my ankle swelled up massively. Around about the same time, I noticed a persistent twitch under my right eye, I was getting the twitch on and off for about a week. This twitch went away, but after a couple of days, all of a sudden I started getting twitches EVERYWHERE. These have continued over the months and recently I've noticed some other worrying symptoms.

My left leg seems to be noticeably smaller than my right. I'm positive this is because the muscles have atrophied. I haven't had any other falls or anything, and I'm still able to walk on my heels and my toes, but I'm worried this could be the beginning of ALS. Also, this leg has been a hotspot for fasciculations in the last couple of days.

Also, I've noticed lately that I've found it harder to induce a gag reflex. I used to have quite a sensitive gag reflex but now I need to poke around for a few seconds before a gag reflex is induced. Coupled with this I feel like Saliva is getting stuck in my throat.

I'm sorry if this sounds silly to everyone but I really do think there's something wrong with me. My Dr has put the twitching down to anxiety ahd hasn't sent me for any further tests.

By the way, I'm 21 years old.
I know it seems unlikely for someone my age.

Which leg had the ankle sprain, left or right?

My left leg, the one that's smaller. I haven't gone over on it since then, but I'm worried maybe it's just progressing slowly.

If your a Democrat, ALS always starts on the Right.... If your Republican, it always starts on the Left.... It's simple really.....

Atrophy before weakness --> not ALS.

Twitches all over your body in a couple of days --> not ALS.

Hope this helps.

If your a Democrat, ALS always starts on the Right.... If your Republican, it always starts on the Left.... It's simple really.....

:lol:

If you're concerned you should visit a doctor. What are you telling here it's quite vague and un precise..."smaller" its a word that doesn't says much by itself. Body it's not symmetrical and out preception about it can be strongly biased.

Anxiety might change completely the way you perceived your body to a point that is hard to belive. Bare in mind that there are ppl out there suffering from anorexia thinking that they're fat being walking skeletons.

I bet you have been googling too much to the point to start testing your gag reflexes

You're too young. Get help, see a doctor. That should help.

Atrophy before weakness --> not ALS.

Twitches all over your body in a couple of days --> not ALS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope a thread like this isn't insulting in any way to anybody. I know it seems like I'm wasting my life obsessing over this but I really feel something isn't right(I'm sure everyone says that as well).

You say atrophy before weakness --> not ALS, but I had gone over on my ankle a couple of months before noticing what I think is atrophy. Isn't this a sign that something could be going on? Or is it unrealistic that ALS could cause me to go over on my foot 6 months ago, then not cause any other falls or anything like that after?

Like everyone else here, I am not a doctor, so my advice may be worth only what you are paying for it. That having been said, if ALS-caused weakness caused you to injure your ankle six months ago, you would almost certainly be complaining about other problems in that leg by now. The fact that you can still walk on your heels and toes today pretty much rules out ALS-caused weakness as the cause of your ankle injury six months ago.

As to your diminished gag reflex, that reflex appears to be easily diminished through training. View any XXX-rated adult movie to see examples.

As to your diminished gag reflex, that reflex appears to be easily diminished through training. View any XXX-rated adult movie to see examples.

:-o
:lol::lol:

:lol::shock:. Well, I've not been training it that way. I suppose though, the more I test the reflex, the more my mind is going to learn to suppress it.

Well, I went to the doctors today and she never saw a massive difference in the size of my legs. They were both pretty similar in size. I'm assuming if it was real atrophy then it would be noticeable to a GP. I'm going to try and keep my mind off it for the time being and just watch and wait. I'm sure if something is going wrong with my nerves I won't have to look for it like I'm doing now. For the time being I've been prescribed with Citalopram to treat my anxiety.:shock:

Apologies if my initial posts offended anyone in anyway. I can only imagine how hard it is for you guys to have ALS and just reading through the forums I'm literally astounded at how strong everyone on these forums seems. Nevertheless, it must get frustrating when anxious, but generally healthy people like myself come online bleating about symptoms that most probably are nothing.

Dear Stuidh,

The fact that you are deciding to put the worries behind you and focus on your life is exactly what the folks on the forum hope for, for those who come here worried but not really "fitting" the symptoms. You are young, and should go out and enjoy yourself!
Peace,
Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back