Other
Country
UK
State
london
City
london
Hi,

I know you guys will probably be sick of all the questions from anxious people like myself but I wondered if anyone could help me.

I am a 31 year old female with an 8 month old son and am very concerned I might have ALS. About 4 weeks ago when I went to bed I noticed some twitching in my left calf, which then started in my left thigh too. Overnight I also noticed the twitches in my left arm but I still wasn't thinking much of it. The next day I noticed that my left arm and leg felt odd and weak, with a burning sensation on exertion and they tremble when I use them even for small tasks. This has continued and feels like it's getting worse. I have not tripped or been having problems dropping things or with hand control. I have racked my brains to see if I felt weak before this night and I don't think I did but am concerned I might have had a slight weakness that I didn't notice until the twitching started.

I still twitch literally all the time, mostly in my left arm and leg but also in the right leg intermittently and sometimes the right arm. I have also started to have a 'tense' feeling in my left thigh on and off where it feels like I can't relax it - not like a cramp, it's not painful. This can last a few hours at a time.

I am normally well and haven't been stressed recently (until now!). I did have a fairly strenous work out the day before the symptoms began, not sure if relevant.

I saw a neurologist who found no abnormalities on neuro exam and am awaiting EMG testing. Am very very anxious about this, particularly about ALS. Does this sound like it could be ALS or am I going crazy. I am not normally anxious about my health but this is freaking me out.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

I should add I also had an MRI brain and C spine. Brain normal. C spine showed small disc prolapse on the right side so not explaining L sided symptoms

Hey there,

You are CRAZY ;)

Twitches are twitches - there are so many possibilitites for twitches , we prefer to not call them a symptom, just an after effect.

None of what you describe is a symptom. Listen to your neuro , they are the only ones qualified to make that diagnosed.

Anxiety, which can causes twitches BTW, is your worst enemy, followed by Dr Google.

Please try to relax , and have some fun today.

Glen

Most twitches are benign. Try looking at a few websites/forums that are based on BFS. (benign fasciculation syndrome). Should help ease your mind.

Hi Jennydoc-

sorry you are having these problems, particularly with an 8 month old baby at home. I know you are scared of what's happening to you, but please do not immediately jump to the conclusion of ALS. From what I have read here, the symptoms of ALS weakness slowly unfold over time, not in a period of four weeks. you could have any number of other things going on.

if you have been researching your symptoms online, you may have read about benign fasciculation syndrome, which causes benign twitching, and also, sometimes muscle cramping. I think if you are able to do all your normal activities with no notice of weakness, such as a weakened grip, you should not worry about ALS. As people have described here, you do not have a vague feeling of weakness with ALS, but an actual weakness that causes you to have difficulty doing something, such as lifting a water-filled tea kettle, turning a key in the ignition, lifting one's foot off the ground, etc.

also, I imagine with an 8-month-old that you may be sleep deprived, which can certainly wreak havoc on one's body.

try not to stress too much until you see the doctor again and get that EMG.

take care--

Sandra

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input, you are all so wonderful to reply so quickly, I really appreciate it. I am really hoping that this turns out to be BFS but it's this bizarre feeling of weakness that is frightening me. It is such a hard feeling to describe because I can do all my everyday tasks but it feels like my left arm and leg are not finding it as easy as normal and they get so shakey. It is mainly my thigh and upper arm/shoulder that feel this way, rather than my lower leg/arm or foot/hand. I know that ALS tends to start with the hand/foot/ankle/wrist first and progress up so that makes me feel a bit better but still.......

Sandra - thank you for the clear description of actual weakness - I currently don't have any of these problems and hoping it stays that way. You are right about sleep deprivation with an 8 month old, although he is getting better! Having a young baby definitely makes it worse when you have these symptoms and are worried about something serious, you are right.

Thank you again
Jen

If you got an 8 month old at home and you don't have a "strange felling of weaknes" you're not human

Did you happen to have any type of illness or flu shot immediately before the onset of your symptoms? I posted also today, b/c I've had these type of symptoms following a virus...came on very quickly and spread very quickly (systemic within a week or two). I "feel" like I can't do a lot of things, yet when I do them, I can do it with ease...meaning, mine is a perceived weakness at this point and seems to be getting better, b/c my kids seem to be much easier to lift now (then when my symptoms started)...and they've both put on weight, so I guess that's a good sign. I hope your tests come back normal and that you get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back