Friend was DX
Country
fi
State
europe
City
joensuu
Re: How do I send a messge on this site

My name here is keinale. I wish somebody could see my pics in my album and answer my question. The question is about hand atrophy. I would be grateful. Sorry my English.

Hi, Keinale-

I looked at your hand photos. I am not a doctor, but to my admittedly untrained eye, they look more like the hands of a 62-year-old woman, not the hands of someone with muscle atrophy. But again, I am not a medical professional. You should have your doctor take a look at your hands and test your arms and hands for weakness; that will tell you a lot more than anyone can say here.

are you having difficulty doing things with your hands that has got you thinking of muscle atrophy and ALS? things like gripping a pen, opening jars, doing zippers and buttons, turning the key in your ignition or front door? these sorts of things would point to weakness. if you have no weakness, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

take care--

Sandra

Keinale,

I agree with what Sandra said also.... I believe in your orginal post you said you have NO ALS symptoms.

hi keinale.
sorry i did not get back to your message.
i agree with the others,there does not seem to be any atrophy.

many post pictures of what they see as atrophy but it can be very hard to see anything on an internet photo unless it is fairly advanced atrophy.

I agree with the others, I saw the pics and they looked like there was some 'meat' on them, if you will. While I am still un diagnosed, I do have issues with my hands and noted atrophy with no known cause, mine are flat. There is no padding when I hold my hand out on either hand. You can feel it as well, or I can. When I chop herbs with my knife and use the palm to press the knife down, it hurts....no padding.

Thank you for your answering. Is that meat on my hands bad or good? Greetings to you

It looks to me like normal muscles. Everbody's hands are different, but both hands look the same (normal) and have muscles where you are supposed too.

Those little folds where the thumb meets the hand with your hand closed are normal too.

Do you have other symptoms of anything?

hi, thanks for your answering. My thumbs are a little painful. It came from the cold, i mean that pain. That is the only symptom.

I took some more pics. My hands are so wrinkled, like i would be 85 -years old.lol. Pls check my album. Thanks

Hi-- I took a look again and still it does not look like atrophy to me, from that angle. I am not a doctor, though. if you do not have any weakness or other symptoms, I do not think you need to worry. Bring your concerns to a doctor and you will probably be reassured that this is normal aging and nothing to worry about.

Sandra

Thanks SandraD. My only symptoms are a little painful thumbs. I got that pain when i was byking and it was very cold. My hand got cold and the next day my thumbs were painful a little. Nothing else.

One more pic in my album.. Looks normal or some dent? I am grateful for the answer. Sometimes when i strech my thumb, my muscle under it start to move and stop quickly. I just noticed it.

you are very kind, pls check my last message and pic. I would be very grateful.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like you have atrophy to me. Is it possible that you have arthritis in your thumbs? If you take ASA or Tylenol does the pain get better?

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back