Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Cuddy
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help clarify "foot drop".
Does it usually sneak up on someone and they start tripping on flat carpet for example.
Or can someone actually sense something is odd in their leg prior to actual noticeable things happening.

My left leg has been feeling odd the last couple weeks.
When I walk the left leg does not seem to come forward as the right.

Thank you,
Mark

Can you walk on your toes and your heels? Sorry, I don't know much about foot drop but have seen my partner being tested in this way (the strength of his legs). D

Yes, I can walk on tip toes and heels.
It is hard to explain the sensation, it is kind of odd, never had it before.
Like I have to swing my leg out slightly when I move forward.

Thanks
Mark

No, that is not foot drop. With foot drop you would not be able to go on your toes or heel. Or, at least not for long. And, in ALS, it gradually sneeks up on you. My husband was not even aware of it; only when we went for a walk, going downhill and I heard his foot "slap" on the ground did he realize it. I knew that was a neuro, problem- BUT it can be caused by any number of things.

Yours sounds more like weakness with your hip muscles, BUT I am not a dr. Have you seen a neuro or even your GP? Check with them first.

Since March I have had exactly the same (first possibly ALS) symptoms. When I climb stairs I really have to swing and lift my left leg.

Back then I could still walk significant distances. In the last three months walking has become problematical. Several weekas ago I bought a cane, it was a big help. A strong wind could blow me over.

I can't wait to see the neuros face when I limp into their office Thursday. They will probably order up a new round of tests. I am going to ask for a wheel chair prescription because in another three months I'll need one

Foot Drop Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff

Signs and symptoms of foot drop may include:

■Difficulty lifting the front part of your foot, which is sometimes the only sign of foot drop
■Dragging your foot on the floor as you walk
■Slapping your foot down onto the floor with each step you take
■Raising your thigh when you walk, as if you were climbing stairs (steppage gait)
■Pain, weakness or numbness in the foot

I recall seeing a video of steppage gait, which sound similar to what you describe.

The above is FOR INFORMATION only, and I suggest you seek medical advice and guidance for your symptoms and concern. Foot drop on its own can be caused by many things, not just ALS.

hi unclemark.

it does not sound like drop foot but does sound like it could be some loss of contraction in the lower leg (hypotonia)
i have hypotonia in my left lower leg and it tends to swing more when walking,i can feel the muscles at the back of my leg are slacker.........if that makes any sense .
when i move it forward takes more effort and swings to the side a bit,it has a lot more swing when the leg moves back.

hypotonia is usually detected by a pt but a neuro detected mine.
he placed the effected leg at an angle like your about to cross your leg but not taking it over,my right leg remaining straight. then he stroked down the inner foot.
my lower leg muscles shuddered like crazy,he and the nurse were so amazed he did it a few times.

as for foot drop i have many problems with pain ,spasms,cramp,atrophy and fallen arch in my left foot. when i first got ill i had to drag it and could not lift it up.

at your next appiontment mention the problem but dont automatically mention hypotonia,if your leg feels like mine then mention the muscles feel a bit slack or loose.

Last edited:
Judy, I tried the dorsi-strap for foot drop (this was before I was diagnosed w/ALS). It did not help at all. Nothing helped until I got an AFO. Best, Jennifer

quote - and I heard his foot "slap" on the ground did he realize it.This slapping of the foot on the ground was exactly how mine started. Then I kept tripping over non-existent things and gradually the front of the foot stopped lifting itself to walk normally and the toes dragged underneath the foot. I took it that this is the "drop" of the foot.

Hi, Judy-

My husband never tried the strap, but it does not look like it gives enough support.
As Jennifer said, AFO's are the way to go. My husband has the toe-off brand; there are different brands with different styles.

The PT/OT at your clinic should recommend these and the neuro will write a script. You must go to an orthotist (the clinic should also recommend for you) for these; they are expensive, but Medicare paid for most of the cost (80%?).

My husband doesn't use his now- he uses power w/c- but, for the time he did they were most helpful to him. Good for walking if you can use a cane or walker/rollator, and have foot-drop.

Thanks everyone for the input! I do have AFO custome made to fit me. It is very nice, but also bulky I was going to try something else even it is just for around the house.

Judy

Just wondering something. I have mentioned in other threads about my right leg and the pain I have had with it[ a year off and on] up until about a month ago.Now no pain.. Now I have been noticing my whole foot going numb at times?Just like when you sleep funny and wake up and your arm or leg might be what I would say asleep? I am just wondering if the disease has traveled to my right leg? ummmmmmmmmmm hope I just have a sleepy foot...Thanks, linda

tajmom,I am not sure what you mean by AFO,sorry,can you plse help me here?I have drop foot,diagnosed Oct 2009,thanks.

Howard,
Ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs) are orthoses or braces, usually plastic, encompassing the ankle joint and all or part of the foot. AFOs are externally applied, and are intended to control position and motion of the ankle, compensate for weakness, or correct deformities.[1] They control the ankle directly, and can be designed to control the knee joint indirectly as well.
Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back