Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Cuddy
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give some advice.
I am 49 year old male.
I started having feeling of weakness in my legs few weeks ago along with twitches in my both calves for about a week or so.
I went to my Doc you did blood tests and said they came back normal.
Went to Neuro on Monday who did general exam and found nothing of real concern and ordered EMG and MRI for next week.
I read that the majority of the time muscle damage from ALS normally will show in the CPK test? Is this true?
Also, can ALS present itself with general feeling of leg weakness?
I don't seem to have any noticeable weakness per se, but each day that goes by I am sensing more and more weakness in legs. Many times I feel they will not hold me up, but so far I have not fallen. I walk slow and deliberate. Many times legs feel very tight and achy which causes difficulty sleeping. I have lost considerable weight last few weeks as I cannot get this off my mind.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark

Hey Mark,

a) to me it does not sound like ALS - but I am not a doctor, make sure your neuro specializes in MND
b) Wait for the results of your tests
c) its not a feeling , it just slowly doesn't work.
c) tight and achy doesn't fit, unless you are compensating for the weakness, but that takes more than a few weeks or months to show

d) anxiety can cause those symptoms - you must relax , and stay away from Dr Google

So far , you do not have ALS - make plans for New Years Eve party.

Glen

Mark,
Try to calm down, your thinking the worst. Many things can cause your symptoms, the emg and mri are a good place to start, but in the meantime take care of yourself. Eat right, try to keep busy, drink tonic water with quinine to help with the leg cramps. Stop looking on the internet for a diagnosis. Wait till you see what the neuro says. Enjoy the New Year!

Nothing significant on CPK test in my partner's case. But brisk reflexes, weakness and atrophy, 'dirty' emg plus tests excluding all other conditions led to ALS diagnosis.

Danijela,

Can I ask what symptoms brought your partner to seek medical attention?

Thank you,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back