Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
ND
City
Minot
Today I had my first neuro appt to discuss the twitches I've had all over my body for the past couple of months. I discussed my background of my grandfather having bulbar ALS and he being the only person in a large family to have been diagnosed with it. The neurologist did his exam and said that all reflexes and tests were good, no twitches were noted except a small twitch at the tip of my tongue. He then proceeded to tell me that he thinks I may be in beginning stage ALS. No slurring, no swallowing problems, no muscle weakness, nothing else except the little twitch at the tip of my tongue that he had to really look for. Naturally my anxiety level which has been at an all time high in the past two months just reached a level higher than that. What am I to do with this?

He had no business speculating about ALS. Twitches mean nothing and are not used to diagnose ALS.

Wait and see but try to relax.

I am so sorry that you found and idiot for a neurologist. Anyone who knows his ass from a hole in the ground wouldn't even mention ALS without some atrophy evident and in bulbar it is almost always first noticed in slurred speech.

Like Joel said, twitches mean nothing, find another doctor fast before this guy causes you any more worry

I can't imagine that a neurologist would make a diagnosis of ALS based on one tongue twitch. What other symptoms did you tell him that you have?

I am so sorry that you had an ass-wipe doctor like that. Both of my grandfathers are dead. By his reasoning , I should be dead too.

Did you know that even healthy tongues twitch ? My neuro verified that at my last appointment. He stuck out his tongue for proof.

Please relax , anxiety can really give your body a rough time.

Glen

I was really surprised at the quick diagnosis myself. He had me hold out my tongue forever which after a while it did finally move a little for him. I went through my history for him of having several major life stressor affecting me in the past 2 months which is when a lot of these weird symptoms starting happening. Urinary,menstrual, numbness, tingling, twitches, etc. On top of this I've had a constant post nasal drip for the past year which I feel like I'm having to constantly swallow and I have ear pressure to boot with a hoarseness from all the throat clearing. Yesterday I gave blood to check for allergies. Plus I'm hypothyroid and I feel like my dosage needs to be upped because I'm cold all the time and my tongue feels swollen. Even though my upper and lower reflexes and strength testing checked out ok, because he saw a tiny little twitch on the tip of my tongue, I'm beginning ALS. I was devastated. I'm a 34 year old mother with 4 kids. I asked him if normal people have twitches on their tongue if they are suffering from anxiety and he said not likely. Luckily I know that indeed it does but it still was an awful feeling.

I would definitely be looking for another neuro. You don't need this stupidity.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am in absolute agreement with you. He is stupid. Who gives out a diagnosis that lightly. My tongue moves all over, I speak fine, swallow fine but because my grandfather (and no one else) had bulbar ALS my tiny tongue twitch is the heralded symptom. As for my anxiety, I've recently been prescribed Prozac and klonopin and needless to say I needed to take 1 after I left his office lol. He did decide at the end to do some labs to check b12 and thyroid and some other items so we'll see.

you could try a good endo for the thyroid you need to keep up on ths levels

Just a quick update. Got my tsh levels today. I've been overmedicated for my hypothyroid condition to the point that I am now in the hyper range. Tongue twitches are a symptom of this as are all over body twitches and (no surprise) major anxiety. Hopefully when my ranges are back in order, I will be back in order. Thanks for listening. Your strength and generousity never fail to touch my heart.

thats great just have them test it every 6 week for 9 months you dont want to go to low either after the 9 months as long as last 2 test were same and in range then you can do it once a year best of luck

this is the best forum ever
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back