Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Kootenay
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you the best for the New Year.
I had a lovely one with my little ones and of course never the same with out Mom. :)
The holiday did not seem that stressful, but yet this numbness and tingling in my forearms and hand continues to get worse. I mad a dr. appointment and he said there may be enough damage now that maybe it will show up on an EMG. I has an EMG 2 years ago in March and it came back good, ( I was told I was ready for the Olympics). Mom symptoms started as her inability to move her little fingers. I and the aching burning feelings in my hands and forearms, worse at night. My arms feel week but I can still open stuck jars etc. but my fine motor, like sewing with a needle seem really bad. I try not to dwell on ALS but, find myself wondering if the achie burning feeling is something typical of ALS. I refuse to believe I have it but it is a 6 month wait to see the neurologist. :?

From what I have experienced and know, what you are asking is not typical symptoms of ALS. I encourage you to come to the ALS clinic in Vancouver and have them examine you. They are excellent.

Having lost your mom to ALS, must create all kinds of questions and anxiety when you have symptoms that may be similar. I would encourage you to take Joel's advice and go see an expert. Given your family history, they'll be sensitive to the possibility of ALS.

Try not to "stay in your head" too much!

Hi northerngirl. My wife's Carpal Tunnell sounded quite similar to your symptoms. Things might not be as bad as you think.

AL.

To second Al's idea about carpal tunnel - I had it and it was very painful with the burning and tingling, especially at night. Have you tried wearing a splint at night and keeping your hand above your heart? It does help a bit, but if it is carpal tunnel you may need surgery to release the trapped nerve. The doc will be able to tell if you have carpal tunnel with a nerve conduction test.

Good luck!

Thanks all,

I am sure it is just something simple like that, though the Dr. doctor did not think it is Carpel because it effects my little finger, ring finger, and middle fingers first and most, that would indicate ulnar. But I am thinking the numbness and tingling is not typical of ALS. The Dr, has offerd to send me to Vancouver to the ALS Clinic. It would be a big trip and my head space does not want to go there. (Chicken) lol. I know they were wonderful with my mom.

You might want to consider a trip to the chiropractor, if you are not in alignment you can have the same symptoms that you have.

Hi Northerngirl, I can totally relate to what you are feeling. My Mum has ALS and is now in a pretty advanced state. I am her primary carer, and I spend my days watching her waste away,and my nights listening to her erratic breathing on a baby monitor. Like you, I now have fears of my own about ALS.

My 'symptoms' have changed since they first began, but most of all I get numb / tingling fingers, an ache in my right arm, which is sometimes along the inside upper arm, sometimes in my forearm/thumb. It's usually not too bad in the morning and is worst at night. I get loads of twitching all over, and worringly, more in my 'affected' arm.

Now if you catch me on a bad day, I will be utterly convinced I have it. However, when I am feeling a little more sane and sensible, I have come to realise that when Mum is having a bad day, my pains and twitches are worse. They are also usually better after a glass of wine! So there are times when I think it is my fears and anxiety which may be causing it. At least that's what I'm trying to focus on, but of course it is not always so easy.

Thanks serinade,
I went to the chiropractor he thought it might be TOS went for xrays , Nope. Hayleywart, I remember what your going thru, I was put on clopazinane (sp) to help with stress, lol one of the side effects is muscle twitching! I was twitching all over! lol I had it in my mind by then. Unfortunately this ALS effects the whole family in diffrent ways. Horrible thing. But I loved that I could be with my mom till the end and be her advocate. Hayleywart, hang in there and embrace the smiles you can still share with your mom. Your an angle to be with her. I know she must think of you as an angle. Hugs (if your ever feeling low, private message me and I will try and cheer you up!)

Hi Northerngirl-

there is a condition related to carpal tunnel, called cubital tunnel syndrome, that affects the ulnar nerve. iit causes numbness and tingling in the pinky and ring fingers, among other symptoms. not as common as carpal tunnel, but maybe this is what is troubling you. you can read about it here:

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: eMedicine Orthopedic Surgery

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back