Distinguished member
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hello Friends!

It's been a long while....My last muscle, nerve skin, and sural nerve biopsy was September 30th. It took over 8 weeks to get the results.

This is the 3rd biopsy for me ( for those who don't know my situation ) and this is the 3rd time it is abnormal.

This one was taken from the calf. I think this one was the toughest one yet, to recover from. I still cannot get down stairs with my ankle.

Instead of me trying to type all that was found wrong ( and things that were not ) I would like to scan it to, here. I need the expertise of my daughter.

There are 6 pages of findings, and 2 doctors took the report to friends who are neuro pathologists. They actually called in a retired nero pathologist to review the case.

For those who are familiar with New Jersey it was done at " UMDNJ ".

I will type the Diagnoses, with a notation that this did not show up on "EMG"....this time.

A) Muscle, left gastrocnemius, biopsy:

_ Myopathy, chronic, moderate in severity, see note and microscopic description.

Note: This is a very complex case in a patient with a history of two previous muscle biopsies which only the reports were reviewed. There is an obvious disruption of the normal myofibrillar arrangement of many muscle fibers.

Some of the findings in this current muscle are suggestive of granules, cytoplasmic bodies, as well as intense Desmin and Congo red staining of these eosinophillic areas in the myofibers, are absent in this case. If further testing is required, fresh-frozen muscle will be made available. Review of the slides from previous muscle biopsies may be helpful in interpreting this patient's changes.

Clinical correlation is strongly recommended.

A visit to the spine doctor....his opinion; could be ALS presenting in a bizarre manner, especially because it is in the family.

PCP, had nothing to say.

Neurologist is totally confused. He hugged me.

Perhaps it is, just as they say. Surgeon had the other 2 biopsies sent over to be tested further.

I just don't know what to think.

OK....That's where I stand, or fall....getting worse. Peace and love to all. Hope you all are as good as good can be!

take care.....~lovelily :?:

Thanks for the update lovelily. Sorry you're no closer to an answer. Try to have as good of a Chrisstmas as you can.

AL.

People like to think that doctors are all powerful but your case is a good reminder of how little our medical shamen know. Sounds like there is definitely something going wrong with your muscles but they seem to have no idea what it is. I hope you get some answers, but even more I hope you stop getting worse, because that is what counts. May next year be a turning point for you.

Lovelily,

It is sad that after all of those biopsies you still don't have a diagnosis. Who knows, maybe you're the first to have whatever it is you have! They might wind up naming this after you. Some claim to fame, huh?

Kim

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! :) In the middle of this we moved onto a lake. Very nice. It's keeping me busy. The stumbling and falling I could do with out, but all the boxes give me a place to land.

I am going to be a first time grandma, come very early April. Yippee! :-D It's a boy. Doesn't get any better than that, after your own children! My girls owe me a few grand kids. LOL!

Please enjoy your Christmas and families, as well! Life is good.

Good grief! How many tests are you going to have to endure? I'm so sorry you're still progressing, and still in limboland. Maybe (hopefully) the review of previous biopsies will gain them some insight.

That's just wonderful news about impending grandson though! Just think of how nice it will be this time next year, with the little guy crawling around and getting into everything.

It sounds like you moved to a lovely place (I'm assuming more towards the western part of state?)

Hugs to you.

Hi Rose! " Good Grief " is right! :confused: Who the hell knows what the heck is going on.

Yes...very excited about the new grandson. Hubby picked me up and twirled me round a few times, when we found out they were expecting. :grin:

Right also, on the location. Lake Hopatcong. Biggest Lake in Jersey. A bit chilly up north. Way too much snow already, and lots of wind. Brrrr.

Looking forward to the summer already. Warmth.

For now, enjoy your Christmas with your family and friends! The best in the coming New year!

Chat soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back