Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
UK
State
Aberdeenshire
City
Aberdeen
Well I've been very up and down of late with my concerns as to whether or not I have ALS. Some days I feel ok, and manage to convince myself I don't have it, then other days soemthing happens to trigger all the fear off again. :(

Tonight, I was watching a movie with my kids. Sitting up in bed, legs stretched out straight (but relaxed) in front of me. At the end of the movie I slapped my hands down onto my thighs, and they really jumped. Especially the left one.

OMG I have hyper reflexivity! :shock:

Now I'm back to panicking! I calmly asked my kids to sit next to me and do the same thing, and nothing happened with either of them.

Should I be worried? :cry:

Sounds to me like you have an overactive imagination. Or sensitive thighs. Or an especially springy row of springs in your mattress.

Many caregivers suffer from depression and anxiety, and justifiably so. You sound like you could use a talk with a qualified professional.

They don't test for reflexes by slapping your thighs. They bang on your tendons and look for the reaction your muscles have to the stretching that this produces. They reflexively contract in response to the sudden stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back