Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
New Brunswick
City
xxxxxxxx
As I wait to go back to a neuro (mine became ill so I'm waiting), I continue to see my GP every 2 weeks. Today, he did some strength and coordination tests, talked about blood work and the ENT report (the one from the guy last week who told me I most likely have als...but I digress), then he did 2 little tests. One was Babinski and the other was Hoffmann. He said "You passed both of those with flying colors." Here's my question:

With all the sophistocated tests such as EMG and NCV yet to be done, should I take anything positive from these simple little office tests (Babinski and Hoffmann) or are they practically insignificant?

Last edited:
I believe it is important that you passed them; failing them indicates upper motor neuron issues. You need upper motor neuron problems to get an accurate ALS diagnosed. I am not saying you don't have OTHER upper motor neuron problems, but thank goodness you don't have these particular ones.

They are significant. It's very good news.

I agree! It is very good that you did not have either of these signs.

Zaphoon

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Hope you're feeling better Beth.

What is the Hoffman test? Is there any simple neuro tests that you can do at home?

Thanks!

The Hoffman and Babinski tests are used by doctors to check for problems with the upper motor neurons for the arm and leg, respectively. You should not be trying to do these tests -- or any other neurological tests you may read about on the Internet -- at home. If you feel like you have a serious medical condition, get yourself to a qualified physician ASAP.

Diagnosing yourself from things you read on the Internet is a fool's errand. Most of the time, you'll put yourself through unnecessary emotional and physical stress for nothing. If you are concerned about your symptoms enough to Google about them, then you should be making an appointment with your primary care provider to discuss them and have them evaluated by a professional. You'll save yourself a lot of time and heartache along the way.

From what I was told, Hoffmann and Babinski both check for upper motor neuron damage. I know that if they are positive, that suggests something is going on. Mine were 'negative', but I just wasn't sure if that was a good thing or insignificant.

You can Google those terms (Hoffmann and Babinski tests) and there ate Youtube videos that show what they are. Just a caution about doing them at home; my doctor said that they have to be done properly and some doctors don't perform them correctly. Not sure why; neither looked to complicated to me. :)

The Hofmann and Babinski tests are used by physicians to determine whether there are problems with the upper motor neurons controlling the arms and legs respectively. You should not be attempting to do these tests -- or any other neurological tests you read about on the Internet -- at home.

If you are sufficiently concerned about a medical condition you are experiencing that you will spend hours researching it on the Internet, you should make an appointment with a qualified physician ASAP. Using the services of Dr. Google usually causes more distress than relief, and delays your getting the appropriate treatment for your condition. Once you have a firm diagnosis in hand, it is then appropriate to use Google to locate more detailed information about your condition.

Trying to diagnose yourself from the Internet is a foolish way to proceed. Save yourself the stress and stop trying to do your doctor's job for him. You'll be much happier and much more satisfied in the long run.

The test for Hoffman sign is done by flicking the middle of your hand to see if your thumb, index or little finger has a reflex response (which it shouldn't if all is normal). This test is also used to detect spinal cord compression.

Last edited:
I am positive for botho f them and sustained clonus and it still does not make difference! Doctors will only diagnose ALS if they find UMN and LMN in at least three regions over a long period of time and after every other possibility including a fall you may have had as child has been checked!

I am positive for botho f them and sustained clonus and it still does not make difference! Doctors will only diagnose ALS if they find UMN and LMN in at least three regions over a long period of time and after every other possibility including a fall you may have had as child has been checked!

Do you know why it is then that some people on these boards, and elsewhere, seem to be diagnosed rather quickly after going to a doctor with symptoms?

If all the criteria are met, if the progression is unusually fast or clear. if the patient is older, and/or if the neuro is either a) brilliant or b) sloppy, you may get a quick diagnosed.

Usually, the progression of ALS is subtle and slow, and there are so many mimic diseases, it takes time to sort things out. Also ... this is not a diagnosed to be made lightly. Neuros are slow to make such a call if there is any chance that it may be something else. Ruling things out, and watching the progression of symptoms, is part of the diagnosed procedure.

Do you know why it is then that some people on these boards, and elsewhere, seem to be diagnosed rather quickly after going to a doctor with symptoms?

Sometimes, the symptoms are clear and distinct; sometimes, they aren't. If all the ALS mimics can be eliminated quickly, you'll get a firm diagnosis faster. If you have no other neurological symptoms than those that go along with ALS or its mimics -- which is where you fall off the track, rhythman, with your 30 year history of intermittent and undiagnosed neurological symptoms -- then you'll probably get a quick diagnosis.

In my case, I was diagnosed as follows: probable MND/anterior horn cell disease 6 weeks after my first neuro visit, brachial amyotrophic diplegia within 6 months, and finally ALS at about the one year mark. The first diagnosis came from a local neurologist who immediately referred me to a nearby specialized neuromuscular specialty clinic who performed additional tests and observed me over a period of time before settling on the next two diagnoses.

I have no bulbar symptoms and very few symptoms in my legs, but the rest of my body above the waist is doing poorly, with one useless arm, one rapidly failing arm, a poor FVC rating, and weakened abdominal and upper back muscles. My first symptoms that I attribute to ALS (post-diagnosis review) presented themselves about four years ago, but the symptom that caused me to ask my doctor for evaluation showed up 3 years ago. Obviously, my progression is pretty slow, and it goes fairly much by the numbers, so I was easy to diagnose.

first symptom march 09..first nero appt. may 09...all the usual tests...diagnosed july 28......i was an easy case to..except for the brain lesions on the mri, and the spinal tap positive for ms...go figure, didn't change the als diagnosis...just pushed it back a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back