Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Canada
City
Canada
Two weeks ago I was trying to fall asleep and I had trouble doing so due to twitches in my eyes, legs and arms. The twitching was around for 4-5 days, and then it disappeared more or less, but I still felt abnormal weakness in my legs and slightly in my arms. The best description I can come up with is my limbs fell like noodles. During this time I felt somewhat dizzy, but it too has disappeared. Today, after about a week of feeling more or less fine, the twitching as returned - although not as bad as before - and the limb weakness has come back, but worse than before. I'm not tripping over things, or having problems walking, I just feel week, especially in the calf muscles, and I haven't done any exercise at all. Even when I'm sitting or lying down my legs feel weak. I wake up and they feel weak.

My question is due ALS symptoms just arrive without warning or is there a slow on-set? It's possible I had the symptoms prior to the night I couldn't fall asleep but nothing I can recall. I'm a young guy - 23 - and am normally very active, but have been more or less sitting around working the past 2 months with limited exercise.

About two years ago I was having some sleeping issues that led me to undergo an MRI and EEG. Both came back negative. Is it possible to find ALS in either of those tests, and if so, would they have been visible two years ago?

Hi TinMan - Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are feeling unwell, however I would try not to worry too much about ALS. That is extremely rare in someone your age and there are many more common problems that can lead to feelings of tiredness and weakness. Twitching too is actually quite common, it is called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome and isn't usually anything serious.

As far as your questions, MRI and EEG would not show ALS. The main test is called an EMG and involves looking at patterns of nerve and muscle signals. Usually weakness comes on gradually, often starting in one body part and taking months before it progresses to other parts of the body.

One thing to distinguish is between feelings of weakness and actual loss of strength. With ALS the muscles lose strength but often they feel pretty much fine. It is just that things become harder to do than they used to, objects seem heavier and the limbs don't move as easily as they should.

It sounds to me like you have some general muscle fatigue but there are many things that could cause that so I wouldn't consider ALS at all at this point. If you don't feel better soon then schedule a physical exam with your doctor and hopefully he can figure out what's going wrong.

I too am new to this site and am somewhat relieved to see others on here with my same symptoms. However, I have not been given a diagnosis yet. My symptoms started out of the blue almost 5 weeks ago. I woke up to severe leg aches(in joints and muscle) that slowly progressed throughout the day to the rest of my body (arms, shoulder, legs, back). It was a feeling like I had never felt before. The next day I started to get tingling in the arms, hands, feet and legs. The extreme achy pain would sort of move throughout my body and same with the tingling sensation. 4 weeks later I started to get a muscle twitch in my thumb that came and went throughout the day. 2 days later I then had muscle twitches in different parts of my body that only twitched for 1-5 seconds (in my arm, leg, butt, back, and chest) and occured every 10 minutes or so. I notice this more when laying down or sitting. I also noticed popping in my joints yesterday. The achy pain has still been coming and going, but the only thing that has really resolved is the tingling sensation. I feel very stiff in my hands, arms feel tight like someone is pulling on my muscles and legs feel like jello. I feel like I can't do a whole lot without being exhausted or the pain reappearing even more.

I have seen a Neurologist and he did an MRI and exam in office. That day he said I looked fine and he felt like nothing would show up on the MRI. Well, the MRI showed I have a herniated c6c7 in spine. However, I know that has been there for quite some time as I remember injuring myself 6 months prior. I feel like something else is going on because my pain and twitching is widespread throughout my body and hasn't really stopped. Are these normal symptoms of ALS? What about the pain and the fact that this all occured at once?

I am scheduled to see the Dr. again this week, but can't seem to put my mind at ease!

Thank you all for sharing your personal stories! I plan to start volunteering and assisting in efforts to find a cure for this horrible disease! My experience over the last couple weeks has left me mentally drained, but I am glad I came across this wonderful and informational blog!

...My symptoms started out of the blue almost 5 weeks ago. I woke up to severe leg aches(in joints and muscle) that slowly progressed throughout the day to the rest of my body (arms, shoulder, legs, back).

Lulapaul... ALS progresses over MONTHS of time, not through the course of a day. So please be reassured from that. And most of the symptoms you list would not be attributed to ALS. I hope you can rest easier until you can talk more with your doctor. Do not let Dr. Google get the best of you!

Brian

Thanks Brian!

You are correct about the Dr. Google getting the best of me. I really appreciate the response as I figured this was the best place to go for answers.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back