Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi-- here once again to ask a question. I do not have a diagnosis of anything yet, but have an 8 or 9 month or so history of muscle twitching, weakness, pain, etc. negative EMG on three limbs in June. one neuro says ALS unlikely; the other said in July, no ALS at this time. both say maybe some neuro condition. wait and watch.

I am concerned about some cognitive problems that may be happening, along with everything else. nothing hugely inappropriate, but some "brain glitches" that have become more frequent. For instance, last week I went into the fridge to get milk for my cereal and accidentally poured ginger ale into my bowl of Cheerios. I became aware of what I was doing as I was pouring-- a bit disturbing. and no, I did not eat the cereal. I prefer Coke, anyway. :D

recently, I also accidentally left my car running and windshield wipers on when I went into the library to return books. I was in the library for a good half-hour with my daughter and when I came out, was startled to see my wipers flapping away and the engine humming.

today I went out with a friend and our kids and I went to get the stroller out of the trunk. we went to a family center, then lunch, then to a playground (in the cold) and when I got back to the car, I noticed that I left the keys in the trunk lock. It seems, in general, that I often have to stop and think about what I am doing and do it very slowly and methodically to remember everything, i.e. take the key out of the lock, put it in my bag, unplug the cell phone, put it in my bag, zip bag so things don't fall out, etc. etc. etc.

I have always been intelligent, but frankly, a wee bit absent-minded (the type to be searching for glasses and keys) , but never to this degree. do you think these symptoms sound worrisome? If it turns out I do have ALS or another neuro condition, do you think this does not bode well for me, in terms of potential dementia? Has anyone experienced brain fog of this type without outright full-blown dementia? If I were having some early-stage mental problems, would I even be aware of it? The only other mental issue throughout all this is that I seem to have an even shorter fuse than I used to. quick to anger. and I often feel an odd kind of grogginess when I wake up in the morning. I do wake up a lot at night-- maybe I am just sleep deprived?

to the people whose partners were diagnosed with dementia: did they have unusual findings, such as atrophy, on the brain MRI? My brain MRI showed a few small scattered "lesions" or unidentified bright objects in the white matter which one neuro did not think are consistent with MS, but no atrophy.

I am due to see the physician's assistant at the neuro's office in a few weeks for a follow-up. should I mention this stuff or keep it to myself?

thanks again,

Sandra

Sandra ... my rule of thumb is to mention anything to the doctor that worries you or is out of the ordinary. It may not be significant, in which case you will be reassured, or it may be something they will want to comment on.

From what I've read (and experienced with ALS), my cognitive problems have to do with language, but not many other people mention that. FTD is a different story ... it can be language or behavior or other dementia related things. I haven't heard of forgetfulness in connection to either ALS or FTD, but then, I'm not a professional, and basically I know only what I read here or my neuro tells me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back