Reason
Other
Country
US
State
IN
City
Evansville
I have been ill for 8 months now and not knowing what I have. Had MRI of neck which shows a spur into throat, had endoscopy, all clean; had chest xray and cat scan - showing hiatial hernia and another hernia near belly button. This week I have had under the skin twitching on my left thigh and the day after weakness in that leg, with pain like sciatica under my left butt region. That twitching has stopped, so I am assuming the muscle is gone in that leg but no sign of smaller leg. Today I tried to wash a window inside the house and when on ladder was very wobbly in the legs. Also every joint when I move it has some pain. Pain in my right instep when I walk. I can still walk on my toes, but not very coordinated. I can walk on my heels, but my left heel hardly lifts the ground. When I walk barefooted, I feel like there are lumps under my feet. My hands and feet have started jerking when awake and I can make them start jerking when I keep clenching my hands; then when I stop, I see the twitches under the skin on the top of my hands near my fingers. I am 69 years old and have had bad arthritis and degenerative disc disease for several years.

I already had an appointment with a neuro surgeon in December because of the spur in my throat, which I can feel all the time and is painful sometimes. I am wondering if this could be a spine problem or ALS?

Thanks,

judy

Hi, Judy ... it sure doesn't sound like ALS.

If the twitching in your leg stopped, it doesn't mean the muscle is "gone" ... you wouldn't be climbing stepladders if it were ... just means the twitching has stopped. Outside of ALS, twitching can come and go like that.

These don't sound at all like the usual onset symptoms of ALS, but definitely something a neuro should check out. There are so many possibilities, I'm not even going to venture throwing any ideas out there. Tell the neuro about all the symptoms, as you have told them to us ... the joint pain, the tremors in your hands and feet that stop when you clench your muscles, the foot sensations.

I hope it is not ALS ... doesn't sound like it to me (a layperson) ... and I hope they can give you a diagnosed and some relief fast. Let us know what happens.

Good luck!

Thank you so very much for responding so quickly. I am just trying to do some cleaning for the Thanksgiving holiday as my son and his family are coming from Tennesse and I am having a hard time cleaning, let alone doing the meal. I have tried to stay strong for my family, but as soon as my son sees me, he will know something is wrong (he is a Physicians Assistant in the Emergency Room at a hospital in Knoxville). I just feel like I am quivering inside.

Thanks again.

judy

Judy, my advice is don't try too hard to be strong. If I'm out of line, I apologize. But let people help you, and let your son know what's going on, if that feels "right" to you. There is clearly something happening with you, and it helps so much to have support. And it will help your son, too, to feel he can be strong for you.

I'm a few years older, so I feel I can offer sisterly advice!

God bless. Have a great thanksgiving.

My family thinks this is all in my head and that I need to go to the hospital or doctor to be treated fro depression. Granted, I am depressed about all of this as I just retired a year ago and have been sick most of the time. I also forgot to say that I fell down yesterday bringing in a bag of groceries and going up the step from the garage.

Thanks for the advice,

judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back