Learn about ALS
Country
FRA
State
Paris
City
Paris
Hi,

Lately I'm having some issues with my voice. Sometimes during a conversation it goes hoarse for a couple of seconds.
Does bulbar start like this or is it really slurry speech? I'm also having a very strange and intense neck pain. The pain is high up in the neck.

Alexandre

Alexandre, ALS does affect voice quality, but usually it starts with very slight slurring, and progresses from there. A characteristic voice change in ALS is to an unpleasant nasal sound, but hoarseness if not uncommon. In my case (and most, I think) voice quality is a later symptom.

I don't know about the neck pain. Any kind of intense pain warrants a trip to the doctor.

Beth , thank you for your answer
When I speak all of the sudden my voice goes hoarse for a couple of sec. Very weird.
I've been diagnosed with BFS over a year ago but some weird symptoms that I've been developing lately let me believe that maybe more is going in.

Beth, what kind of slight slurring? I have problems saying words like chair, church, journal, etc. I can get them out, but I feel my mouth making the effort to say them. And I'd say my tongue just doesn't seem to be working right. Most other words (without the ch/r combination) I can say fine.

Thanks.

Hi my name is michael and im pretty scared, thank you to Al(you are the man) and rose, and all of you, you are so strong. My father has ALS for two years now and im worrying that I also have symptoms... I have twithcing in my legs sometimes, feet, and also an increase in saliva. My left calf muscle is half inch smaller than my right, and ive been measuring both of them for three months, they went from being 14 1/2 inches wide and now are just over 13 1/2 inches wide... when i look at my calve in the mirror it is clearly apparent that my left is significantly smaller than my right,,,also my left ribcage sticks out more than the right side of my rib cage... also my shoulder bone on my left side,(you know its kind of like a pointy ball that sticks up shows predominantly more than the right side, I just feel like I have been more tired lately, and I have flem that i can bring up but have no cold or sore throat... Ive had a history of head and back trauma from sports... do these symptoms sound like any of yours before you were diagnosed, please be as blunt as possible, I think all of you are so courageous, God bless you all, look forward to hearing back...

mcmom ... other people were aware of my slurred voice long before I could hear it, and I never really did feel as if my tongue, lips and cheeks were unable to work right. I always felt like I was speaking normally, but others commented that I sounded drunk, and after a while, as it worsened, I could hear it too.

michael ... I think what you are trying to discover with all your measurements is whether or not you have muscle atrophy, but that is not a presenting symptom of ALS. ALS is not about how your body looks, or how one side compares to another (everybody has differences between left and right), or how it feels.

ALS is about actual, honest-to-God muscle weakness. When you can no longer perform an everyday task ... like picking up a backpack ... that is muscle weakness, and that is the hallmark of ALS. Muscles stop working, they start to die, and when the muscles are dead the body clears out all the dead cells and tissue, and that is when atrophy appears.

Looking for atrophy before you have exhibited any muscular weakness makes no sense. (And feeling tired is not muscular weakness.) I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm sure his condition is contributing to your anxiety and fears.

Thank you, Beth. Your information and insight is always so helpful!

Beth thank you so much your response, is a great relief, and Joels too on a diff post has really put my mind at ease, i Pray and prayed for u all, I feel so selfish of thinking of myself, God bless, you and everyone, please stay strong and I just have to say again that you have really, really helped me thank you so so much- always hear to talk and help- Michael

I've been tentatively diagnosed with PLS and my voice gets hoarse and raspy now and then. When it happens, I also notice fasciculations happening in my throat.

Zaphoon

My bulbar symptoms started with hoarseness, then my voice got deeper, then slurring

Betty,

Its nice to hear from you!

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back