Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
We were sitting here watching the Falcons/Vikings game and all of a sudden my husband starts doing the choking-can't breathe-can't swallow thing! Out of nowhere! This went on for about 10 minutes.

He hasn't been eating well and one of his best friends is in critical condition in hospital on temporary vent and feeding tube. He's been very upset. He can't go visit, as it's too risky for him and his friend. Only family is allowed visits at this time.

He was supposed to go "fishing" with my Daddy later this week, but will not go because he thinks his friend won't make it.

I don't know if he is getting more saliva/mucous due to being upset or if this is a progression of the disease. All I do know is it scared the be-Jesus out of both of us.

CJ, I agree it is scarey a thing to go through. Ten minutes is a long time to fight for air in a choking/coughing fit. It will wear a body down fast!

My heart goes out to the both of you. If your husband is feeling up to it, I think he should go fishing with your dad. I believe you are correct in thinking that a trip to the hospital to see his friend would probably bring on added anxiety.

Zaphoon

Mum gets this all the time - usually gets worse when she is not drinking/ eating enough - produces more saliva Ive been told, so if hubby has been upset and not eating real well, then I believe it can make the saliva worse, and if swallowing isn't the best then yes causes heart-stopping choking. When mum starts if we sit her up properly - no slouching - then it usually gets better quicker.

Hope you dont get too many more of them - make sure he drinks enough. Hope others have more experience/advice with this than me.

so sorry but, he should go with your dad him staying home is not going to stop his friend from dying and his friend probably would want him to go , i know i would

CJ, Not eating and stress are two prime reasons to produce more saliva.
Sorry about his chocking episode, Erica.

Hi CJ, I forget, does your husband have a peg? I have found that the excess saliva and throat goo is worst after I try to eat and drink using my mouth. That is the main reason that I have pretty much stopped eating now, I still can force a little down but then I spend 10 minutes in the bathroom suctioning and washing so it isn't worth it. I hope that he can avoid the gagging/choking because it itself can cause stress and is a vicious cycle.

He should go fishing if he can, I went hunting yesterday and although it was tiring it is also good to get out and get some fresh air and a little exercise. And to take you mind somewhere else too.

thanks i am also experiencing the choking cough episodes. doctor told me to get peg a long time a go. i refuse.

Thank you all for your replies. His friends are coming in from out of town to meet with each other for moral support. These guys grew up together, so I see why they are so close. I guess there is about ten of them. They are lucky to have each other. Anyway, he will not be going fishing and my father understands.

The choking thingy has happened three more times today. I have scolded him about not using the cough assist, as I think that might help a bit.

Barry, He does not yet have a PEG, but may be fast approaching one.

The wife of the friend in hospital called me and was hesitant to tell me what was going on, as she did not want to upset my husband (so very sensitive of her considering her own husband and his predicament!). So I've been trying to gently update him. Then I found out all the friends are emailing my husband with all the details! LOL MEN! The guy seems to be in a "semi-coma" and only responds a bit when they touch his feet. The wife didn't tell me that!

Dear CJ,
What a scary situation. Does he have a suction machine? the saliva might be pooling in his throat and then causes the gagging/ choking situation? Horrible chain reaction.
I am sorry you are both dealing with this, I hope the saliva issue clears up.
You are in my thoughts and prayer
In friendship
Jeannie

CJ ... I get those choking episodes, too, and they're awful. The last time, my caregiver called 911. Of course, it was over by the time the ambulance got here, but they carted me off anyway, because my b/p had gone up so high when I was "strangling."

It seems to happen to me in late afternoon, when the secretions get so thick. I had been using suction when it happens, but I think the cough assist helps more. I've been trying to take more liquid in, and using suction at the first sign of the thickening. It is ghastly when your airway is cut off completely!

So sorry this is happening, and for your husband's friend, too. I hope they both improve.

They trached and vented the friend yesterday and put in peg. Now, the next day, the wife is having him taken off the ventilator. Sigh...

With the holidays coming up, I was hoping for a little less stress on my husband. Looks like that isn't going to happen. He can't understand why they've changed their minds and nobody is getting real answers (that make sense) from the wife. But we can't do anything about it. Although we question the sudden change of mind, I do feel for the wife and family.

I hope my husband can get through this OK. Hope I'm not sounding too selfish.

so sorry to hear that it is very hard to stand by not being able to do anything . best wishes

CJ~ I'll see your 'sigh' and double it. I wish peace to you and yours. Have a blessed holiday season.

Selfish , I don't think so. Please take care of you , so that hubby has someone for support.

I hope things relax a bit for the holidays.

Is it possible that his friends wife is following his instructions ? That is the only logical reason I can see without thinking dark thoughts.

Please take care.
Glen

Well, it seems that she would have to ship him off to another state to keep him on the vent. I knew that, but didn't know how many days the hospital would keep one on vent and still don't know.

My husband is just in a bad way. And he is more concerned for the other friends than for himself!

I can't tell you how much my husband has loved his friends and been there for them. This is breaking his heart because he can't go to the hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back