Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi, I am not a caregiver, or even a PALS, just an undiagnosed lurker on these forums, but I recently read this article about states that provide pay for family caregivers who are providing round-the-clock care for ill relatives. some states will allow you to be paid for these services through Medicaid. I thought this would be useful to some here. I am not sure if this benefit applies only to care provided for seniors, but it is worth checking out in your state.

Payment for Family Caregiver | Being Paid for Caregiving | Caring.com

That's a useful link, thanks. I was surprised to discover that my long-term care insurance also pays for family, friend or neighbor care. Not a lot, but every penny counts. So if you have a policy, check it out. I would never have known this, if my ALSA rep hadn't read every page of the policy.

Looks like in our state you have to be pi$$ poor to get any help and then the help is money to spend on the patient that is given to a caregiver and then the caregiver cannot be the spouse. What? Do they think a stranger or other family member knows how to spend the money better or won't rip the patient off? (At least that is a start though). Lawmakers are so removed from reality! And our state is in the dark ages!

No way CJ, my state has to be the absolute worse! Try this one-for a FAMILY of three to receive Medicaid your total family income can not exceed $700/month! OMG, the truth! I think that is lower than pi## poor! lolol Who can survive on that? But of course once you qualify then you rake in all the freebies that we taxpayers have paid for and live better than the working people and pay no taxes! arggg

My husband & I actually went to a class on this several yrs. ago thru a local vocational school. The reason we were interested is I also watch over my 80 some year old mother & we wanted to be prepared if we had to take her in full time. The woman who gave the class said she was paid $759.00 per week to care for her mother in her own home. It is called Medicaids Core Plus Program. Anyway the class was offered to help people cut thru the red tape that is out there the woman who offered the class is Peggy Ann Muraco "www.pegslearningcenter.com" I don't even know if her web sight is still up but I am going to try and look her up. My son who has been diagnosed has absolutly nothing so his caregiver in the future should be eligable for this program if it comes to that.

Crazy...Mom does not qualify for Medicaid. If we were able to get it they would take her monthly ss money...which isn't much....I don't knwo so much red tape is right. They will only pay cargivers if she is on medicaid...if these medical bills keep coming she will be on it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back