Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
At the risk of sounding like a real b......

We received a letter in the mail from an "elder" in the church we were attending. The church has lost many of it's congregation since the very good preacher they had left for greener pastures (no pun intended). Recently it was found that a huge chunk of money was missing. Very respected elders have resigned and a new young preacher that sounds like a minister straight from fire and brimstone school has taken over Sunday morning services (you know the voice that goes up and down?). It's pathetic really and the members become less and less. Back to the letter. This was a very strongly worded letter telling us that the ministry had fallen off and we were now assigned to a new committee and we must come together to minister to the needs of the "church." It was a chastisement! A list was attached with members assigned to this committee. My husband's reaction was "WHO IS THIS GUY?"

Not one time has anyone from this church called or visited my husband in the three years we attended. The original preacher came out when we first began attending and had us complete a course and we had to take tests to make sure our beliefs were the same as theirs so we could be "accepted" into the fold. Can you believe the guy told the congregation he did everything he could to trip me up (because I was Baptist and this isn't a Baptist church)? HAHA! I went along with all this for the sake of my husband, but I finally had to put my foot down about the weekly "courses." Like I said, since that time no one has called or visited. My husband is on their prayer list every week, yet they don't take the time to wonder why? And now they want us to minister to the needs of the church? HELLLLLOOOO!

I think I need an attitude adjustment! :evil:

CJ, I don't blame you for being upset! This sounds rather legalistic to me and that is not right. As a former Pastor I don't agree with what is happening and if it continues there is a very likely chance he will empty the church.

Hang in there! It is also not right that you have not been visited.

Wow, CJ. Sounds like you might want to do some soul searching to find someone more suited to your needs. Andy ended up changing churches in the middle of his disease for similar reasons..the older pastor left, and the newer one was also "fire and brimstone." I won't go into details, but this guy was horrible with Andy and his children. After visiting a few churches, we found The One for Andy. The pastor had a personal friend die of ALS and had even preached a series of sermons about it. This is the pastor who buried my Andy.

CJ, I swear that it is hysterical at the similarities in our lives! We are members at the Church that my ancestors all started, my grandfather built, I was baptised there-married there, family buried there etc...We live in a town of 1328 population. Our ministers HAVE NEVER come to the house. One phone call since July. Because our son is in confirmation, I have to bake 5 dozen of something once a month to take to their coffee hour [that we have never attended in all of these years because it is just a gossip session] and they know that we do not have ANY money but still expect me to bake and serve. Honestly, I am more than just a little disappointed with my church. It was another church that came by with a Prayer Shawl for DH. Totally different denomination but certainly more aware of Christian love. Our son is happy that he has H1N1 so that he gets to miss church and sunday school this week. so sad but what to do?

Before I comment , I am not a religious person. I have faith in myself and my family. I do not wish to offend anyone with my remarks.

CJ , I thought churches were for people to go to say their prayers and receive the words of faith through sermons and song.

This guy sounds more like he is running a business than a preacher.

my .02

Glen

CJ ... I don't think it's you who needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe its time to start Sunday visits to other churches. Do you know what services the respected elders who resigned are attending? I'm sure they have not stopped going, but have found other places to worship.

It's a shame when a congregation dwindles and even worse when the minister and committees actively drive people away, but you have to have your spiritual needs met, now more than ever. You need support and guidance not a guilt trip about the church's problems.

It is terrible how so many churches are more about the people who run them and what they need than being about the congregation and what they need.

Thank you all for your replies.

Joel- legalistic! , exactly!

Glen- that is way it seems to be nowadays with a lot of churches we have visited. It's so obvious! It infuriates me!

My husband and I differ on spiritual matters, but I want what is best for him and my son at this time. We have visited numerous churches in our area and hate the mega-churches! But, we have a dear elderly gentleman in our neighborhood that cares a lot for us and we are checking out his church (huh - Baptist, by the way...LOL)

I was brought up in a very religious family and then as an adult studied the religions of the world and philosophy. Going toe to toe with a theology teacher (the preacher was a professor) every Monday night was a bit challenging. Glad that's over with!

My husband was the typical boy that went to church and didn't hear a word the preacher said. He even told me a story about him jumping the pew to fight with his brother that was wiggling his ears at him! Can you imagine?!? He came from a big family...

This church is failing and I wish they would take us off their list. I can't call them to take us off their list of congregants because my FIL goes there! He was an elder for 21 years, so he would know if I called them, as someone would tell him.

Hi if you are in a decent sized city, see if there a Unity church. I havent been in a few yrs, but listen to services on line. I was catholic, but there rules were a bit to rigid for me

Lori... you and I are so gonna get along! While I still attend a Catholic church, I agree that I tend towards agreeing with our local Unitarian Universalist Church... just wish it was a little more "local." By the way... did you get my message about the football game!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back