Diagnosis
11/2001
Country
CA
State
AB
City
Edmonton
My MIL has had ALS for 8 years now, and was diagnosed with a slow progressing ALS by her ALS doctor. IN the past year and a half there has been a definite progression of the disease and in the past 2 months things have declined severely. Her breathing is rapid and oxygen levels go down to about 84. At the nursing home she's at they have her on oxygen now for 3 days and have given her pain meds to manage her pain and to help her not to be alarmed how rapid her breathing is. They have also taken out her feeding tube and is receiving compassionate care only.(Her wishes are that she does not want to be put on life support or to be resesitated when the time came).

My question is: How long can she go on like this? Her breathing is so rapid and difficult the nursing staff have said that she could go into cardiac arrest due to the strain on her heart and body. Her oxygen levels also seem quite low. As hard as it is, the family has come to the realization that it is probably time for her to pass on, but it is hard for us to watch her go through this these final days.
Has anyone gone thru this before?
Laura

I am so sorry for all of you. Are they giving her morphine IV? She needs morphine! What pain meds do they have her on and why did they remove her feeding tube? Saying prayers for all of you and hoping for peace for your hearts. hugs

Laura,Everbody is different but as indigosd said she needs morphine to help her. Have you contacted the Als society or the clinic, they have such good support ,if you need phone numbers contact me.Beverley Peace be with you.

Sorry to here about your MIL Laura. I hope that she can be kept comfortable.

if we haven't gone Thur it we will ... many have already .... so sorry it very hard to feel helpless to fix things best of luck to you and your loved one

This may sound like a weird question but... is she getting IV fluids? If not, she will pass a little bit faster than without fluids or feedings. Once my FIL decided he no longer wanted feedings, and because he had stopped dialysis (he had kidney failure) they did not do fluids.. he passed very peacefully within just a few days.

I agree about the morphine. I have to say, they have Mom on so much morphine now that it's hard to supress the occasional chuckle. She was sitting in her recliner yesterday waving to Glen with her toes. If anyone wants a brain adventure, try sitting between someone with FTD and someone on hourly morphine!

Oh Katie,you have such great humor in such a difficult situation.. Peace be with you.

wish i could of seen that ..i would of had to go in the other room and more than chuckle , you and glen sound like such a great couple...keep the humor katie

lgaudin... just wanted to check in and see how you and mil are doing ...hope it is peacefull as peacefull as can be that is for you and family

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your replies. Yes she's on pain medication, but not morphine because she's allergic to it. They started the pain medication on Monday last week.
Unfortunately, she passed away on Friday afternoon at 4:24 pm, as she simply stopped breathing. My husband was there, as were 2 of his other siblings and her husband. She went very peacefully. Part of us is releived because we were worried about the pain and suffering for her, especially in these final days. But we're also very sad, as we're trying to grasp that we will never see her, talk to her, touch her again.
I wish I had found this forum much sooner-it would have been a god send for me and my husband.

I truly wish you all the best and wish that you didn't have to have a battle with this horrific disease-whether who are the one with ALS or it's a loved one with ALS. It steals people's lives and dignity away. It runs in my adoptive family-my great grandfather, 2 great uncles, grandfather, and uncle all passed away from ALS. Now my mother in law! I truly wish science could find a cure and actually be able to prevent anyone from getting it in the first place.

Best wishes to all of you!
Laura Gaudin

I am sorry for your loss! My the peace of God comfort your heart and your families during this time.

Dear Laura, I am so very sorry about your mother in law's passing. God bless your family.

Laura, I am glad that the family was able to be there at the end for your mother in law. I am very sorry for your loss.

Barry

Laura, so sorry for your loss. May your memories comfort you in this time of sorrow. Glad you were with her at the end.
Colleen

Laura, I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest sympathies. I hope you find strength and comfort from the happy memories of your mother-in-law and the knowledge that she was always surrounded by such a wonderful family.
Take good care,
Rosella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back