Distinguished member
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evergreen Park
Hello everyone.

My mom was diagnosed with ALS in May of this year. She's 53. I just had a baby boy in March. It's been very hard on all of us. I feel a lot of guilt because I can't do more to help her. My stepdad is amazing and has been doing everything.

It's hard for me to talk to my friends and what not becuase they don't really understand what is going on or how bad the prognosis is. I am hoping here I can get some support and understanding.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Site. This is a great place to come and chat. How can we help you today ?

Glen

Welcome to the site,

As Glen said, ask away, there is lots of caring people here who are onty too willing to share.
No question is too silly to ask as i am sure some one will be able to offer advise.

Surf the forum there is a heap of info in here.

Peter

Congratulations on your baby boy, it must have been very hard on you after such an exciting thing as a birth of a son for you to have your mom diagnosed so soon after.It is a very cuel illness and if we can help we will.

Lisa,
You have found a great site and people who really "get it."

Hi there. Feel free to jump in with questions or just tell us what you are thinking. We'll help if we can.

AL.

Hi Lisa! Sorry about your Mom! Hope you will find support you need here.

Congrats on your baby and glad your Mom was there to share that with you.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome, you sound similar to me - my mum was diagnosed Feb this year, she just had her 55 birthday, and my little boy is now 14 months - I also have a 3 year old and 4 year old girls. I was mums caregiver until about 4 weeks ago when my dad moved in to help my mum (seperated for 10 years!) because I wasnt coping with looking after my littlies and mum.

I know how hard it is to talk to friends - my best friend of 20 years hardly calls me anymore because she doesn't know what to say,and even other people ask me whats happening and then I don't hear from them again... You will get plenty of support, suggestions, advice etc on this forum as everyone here understands to a degree what everyone else is going through..or there are some how are in exactly the same situation. Rant,ask and question etc on this forum..it helped me keep my sanity at the best of times through the past 7 months!

And best of luck running around after your little one!

i'm so sorry for your mom's diagnosis...my mom who is my best friend was diagnosed in May '09 and she is only 61. My sister just adopted a baby girl in June after years of trying to have a baby. She is sad, too, (we all are) and overwhelmed, but know that the baby is a joy in this time of unbelieveable sadness. Hang in there...you are not alone! I get on this site a lot and its good to know that others are feeling the same way...its a great source of information and sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back