Diagnosis
02/2002
Country
US
State
MA
City
Concord
My brother has had ALS for 7 years. It has progressed slowly, His wife has essentially been the sole caregiver for this time - for the last 2 or 3 years he has been completely disabled. They have bankrupted themselves hiring home health aids. Does anyone know of any care giving agencies in the NY area? He basically needs someone who can lift and feed him, and know what to do if he starts choking. He is not yet on any assisted breathing apparatus. I hold out hope that there's SOMEONE who has a better solution than both physical and financial bankruptcy
Thanks
Marsha

I wish I knew of somewhere, did you get in touch with the ALS association? There isn't enough help there for people with this horrible disease. We struggle with this ourselves and my thoughts and prayers are with your family
In friendship
Jeannie

You ned to cal Gloria English at the MDA local ALS division. Her Number is 914-345-5062. Columbia University ALS Clinic is where I take my Mom. Their number is 212-305-1319. Let me know if you need any other numbers. Where exactly in NY?

I'm shocked that medicare doesn't provide help? We just assumed they would automatically with the ALS diagnosed. We are waiting for my fathers to kick in but god I hope they will send help if/when we need it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and I hope you find some help/support soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back