0/2009
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Sydney
Hi All,

Dad called me last night - I think he was a bit upset! Mum had a chocking episode, Dad literally had to heft her over his shoulder as she went red and all. He said she had burped and then was chocking on liquid that had come up - Does anyone else have trouble with reflux or the like when they have trouble with the swallowing anyway - mum is on stage 2 pureed solids (no peg to come). He's worried what would have happened to her if she had burped during the two-three hours noone is there with her. Seems she has done this a few times (Burp), but first time she has choked on it!

I did try looking up reflux in previous posts, but mainly with peg issues,not just swallowing issues.

Thanks

I have the same problems if I over eat or did not take my meds. I currently take the following meds and they really do help Omeprazole 20 mg (2) capsules at dinner and Ranitidine 300 mg at bedtime. Don't know if this is a medication used in Sidney but her doctor should be able to prescribe something.

Best wishes to your mum!

Glen take Omeprazole (Prilosec) before breakfast and dinner, and seems to make a huge difference.

Similar case here...Dad takes 2 Omeprazole per day. He says that reflux has been a big problem for him. He calls it "toxic" backflush. Sorry to be graphic!

Hope your mom finds some way to deal with this issue.

Best to you!

Are these tablets that can be crushed? Ill mention them on the next visit to our doctor - he's away on holidays at the moment and closes his practice. Of course thats when we need him most!

Omeprazole that I have is a capsule and the Ranitidine is a tablet. There is a drug store version of these if you needed something before the doctor returns from holiday.

Hi Gelthling
Is your mum likely to be getting a PEG?

No, the doctors decided when mum was in the hospital 3 weeks ago it would be cruel to prolong the disease with her having cognitive issues etc, so they said no peg. Because of that, we now have palliative care involved who visit every frtnight incase their is any change in her condition. She is now Honely Consistency of pureed food and liquids as she cannot drink water or even juices any more. Mum had always been up and down about the peg, initially telling the doctors she wanted it because that was what the doctors wanted to hear (Due to her cognitive issues) and then half hour later change her mind - she does this with most medical decisions which is why I am now her medical guardian through the Public Guardianship tribunal.....oh yes,what a journey this has been!

Hey Gelthling,

I take Gaviscon before bed each night and it holds off the mouth of toxic wasteland.

It comes in tablets or liquid. I prefer the tablets , but know in the future it will be liquid.

Glen

my pharmacist said that I could not take Gaviscon through the PEG tube!

My wife takes Prevacid through her peg and it definitely is working.
Mark

my pharmacist said that I could not take Gaviscon through the PEG tube!

Well , I accept that challenge. Being I dont need to depend on my PEG , I can test such theories.

Patsy , I will get back to you.

Glen

Test #1 complete

20 ml water to flush the tube
10 ml Gaviscon - Berry flavor - down the tube
50 ml water to flush the tube.

Thoughts and observations:

Leaves a bit of a white residue in the tub. Will try a coke cleaning tomorrow.
Will see if has the same effectiveness tonight as the two tablets I usually chew down.

time will tell.

So, Patsy , other than the residue - no issues yet.

Glen

Mum is not getting a peg - and liquids now need to be honey consistency for her to swallow. She has had two more choking episodes, one of which today dad had to again put her over his knee to get food out of her throat - as she can no longer cough it up. I am getting very worried at what point they decide she can no longer eat and will start the palliative care process. Obviously her swallowing is taking another turn for the worse. Hopefully we still have a way to go!

We are taking her out this weekend to celebrate her 55th birthday - I want to make it a happy memorable day for her and the family

Sounds like a tough time Gelthling. Hope you are all able to enjoy the outing for her birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back