Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Tiskilwa
Help! We can't seem to get things to even out. We have been diong a weekly purge, it is very wearing on him. The time in between the pressure builds and the gas pain getts worse by the day. Thinking about giving him a small dose of laxative everyday.... Any ideas would very helpful....

I think a mild laxative might help. I think those darn muscles in the digestive system can get really slow. Maybe fiber, or some natural stimulant. Sorry that does not sound like fun.

A stool softener might help, too. Hoping is correct: the muscles that push waste out are affected by ALS, and create very uncomfortable problems. I'd keep anything you give him as mild as possible.

Prunes or prune juice work well naturally.

AL.

Check with your doc for ideas. I know that a spinal cord patient goes on a bowel regimen so they can predict when bowel movements occur and they don't have the muscles to push either. The regimen is different for each person and they need to try multiple things in combination.

While I am not recommending anything specific for you guys, I do know that SCI nurses have really studied bowel care and may have some ideas you can work from....

http://www.aascin.org/sci-neurogenic-bowel-care-nursing-guidelines.html

Dana

Hubby's doc recommends benefiber with morning coffee and miralax at bedtime. He drinks lots of water during the day.

we bought one of the bidet toilet seats for cleanliness. It has an enema feature that works. Even just the pulse water massage can stimulate.

thank you all for the advice! will be trying some of the ideas...doc not alot of help, but will try him again.

Does he still eat by mouth? Mom gets the same problem sometimes and I pureed a cantalope melon and water and....yup it worked.

we bought one of the bidet toilet seats for cleanliness. It has an enema feature that works. Even just the pulse water massage can stimulate.

I second that ... it works.

Glen

My mum's gp changed her blood pressure medication to one without a diuretic in it - that has made a big difference to her maintaining good hydration.

Help! We can't seem to get things to even out. We have been diong a weekly purge, it is very wearing on him. The time in between the pressure builds and the gas pain getts worse by the day. Thinking about giving him a small dose of laxative everyday.... Any ideas would very helpful....

My husband has the same problem. We take two Colace (stool softener) at bedtime and occasionally Senakot (a very mild vegetable laxative). Fiber is really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back