Reason
Loved one DX
Country
UK
State
Kent
City
London
My mum has just been diagnosed with MND and I can't believe it. It just doesn't seem real when I say it. I have been reading some of the other threads and I am so scared of what lies ahead for her. Why has she got this awful disease at 63 when she has so much to live for?

Hi Iris,I am 63years old also, I can't answer your question why. It is devastating to all members of the family, please treasure everyday with your Mum. Peace be with you.

I want to spend every minute of the day with mum but I just get so upset that I feel this isn't helping her at all. She is being so brave and all I feel is complete anger, it's just so unfair.

It takes a few months from the initial shock from diagnosis, my mum was diagnosed back in March, and it was only a month ago that I could start talking about it all without crying. Just be there for your mum - she will understand that you are also upset. Once the initial shock calms down, you'll get in and try to work out the best way to handle things.

Iris, I'm so sorry about your mother's diagnosis. It took me a while to get over that shock too and I felt very very angry like you do about my dad's diagnosis. The shock eventually wore off and I gained so much strength in dealing with this horrid disease. The anger ebbs and flows. Today I feel like punching something or smashing a car in with a sledge hammer. That would be good! I wouldn't want to wreck an innocent bystander's car though.

I'm glad you found this forum. There are lots of really amazing people here who will offer you so much support, wisdom, insight and even humor.

Ohhhhhhhhh... the sledgehammer idea sounds so good! Maybe people could donate their old cars to clinics, and they could have "Hammer Time" (sorry, couldn't resist) for the caregivers while their PALS were in clinic!?

a feeling i have not noticed yet and i know other's must feel the same way is eveny- when i see a man my son's age or hight and weight while i am sitting in the car as they are moving about ...i think why was it not him , why my son, i am so full of enevy and anger, i know it's not right to wish it on someone else but, i can't help it and i don't think time will help that feeling

Iris-
The shock is so horrible. Glad you found this site. I know exactly what you mean about learning about what lies ahead. I watch my kids and husband and the emotion just overwhelms me. Most days I am doing better. However, I was driving from work today and saw a sign for Cedar Point (amusement park) and started to cry - no apparent reason. Just the whole thought of wanting to go and having no idea how much longer Jim can continue to go - all kinds of thoughts like that just came rushing in! Luckily, my mom called just it time and "talked me down"

It helps to get over the shock phase as quickly as possible and on to the everyday living phase. The sooner things can be brought back to a daily norm (and you have to shift with change as it comes), the better.

It totally shatters me to see one of my kids tear up when they see me having a difficult time. I try very hard to be "normal" around them.

Zaphoon

(Tomorrow hasn't come yet and I'm not ready for it until it comes!)

Also, I found it useful to visit my own doctor - he prescribed an anti-depressent and Xanax for "those moments" when I just can't keep it together (also has helped the moments where you are just mad at the world.)

Katie - our ALS chapter actually suggests the car-smashing idea for a fund raiser!

Shelley, I love it. It occurs to me that MC Hammer lives in Tracey, which would be within the boundries of our chapter. Wonder if we could get him to sponsor something. If you have any info from your chapter's idea, could you e-mail it to me?

Thanks for the support. So far I have only smashed small items around the house, I am fine then all of a sudden I throw a mug at the wall. And I am constantly having the same feelings as you tdamess. I am looking at everyone my mum's age and I want to shout at them and ask why the hell isn't them instead!

Ohhhhhhhhh... the sledgehammer idea sounds so good! Maybe people could donate their old cars to clinics, and they could have "Hammer Time" (sorry, couldn't resist) for the caregivers while their PALS were in clinic!?

picture this :

Rosella walking towards a car with a sledge hammer.

The car doing a sideways shuffle, while the radio is blaring :
daa da dah , da dah , da dah "Cant touch this"
daa da dah , da dah , da dah "Cant touch this"

glen you are bad lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back