Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
I would like to do an informal Poll and see if there is a discrepancy in the experience of PALS and CALS with the application for SSDI and if it is related to the state in which they reside.

We reside in South Dakota and applied over the phone. We received notice of acceptance within 10 working days and received my Husband's Medicare card [to be effective] in December within 3 weeks.

Problems that we have:
My son and I are not to be given the amount that it says we MAY be eligble for-significantly less.:twisted:
Waiting for the 6 months to receive the money that my Husband and his employeer put into SS is an issue

Helpful hints;
Go to Social Security online and print off the application form and make sure that you have all the necessary documents and paperwork to do the application.
Make certain that you have your most recent "Statement of Earnings" from Social Security so that you can double check their figures.
Do your application over the phone!
Keep a notebook with dates, times, phone number, person spoke with and conversation so that you can follow up. You will need to more than likely.
Be assertive-ask questions and expect answers.
REMEMBER that this is your money!

Advocate for;
NO 6 MONTH WAITING PERIOD [some PALS do not have 6 months]
Benefits for Children until 21 if a full time student in College
Parents should not lose their benefit when eligible child turns 16!
IF disabled person is Head of Household and sole support, Family should be put on Medicare as a family benefit
Prescription, Vision, Dental as part of Medicare NOT EXTRA

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you!

My DH was approved in 30 days. At the time of the interview we did mention the TERI law so there would not be any problems.
We were able to apply for benefits for our daughter over the phone. We were told that dependent children recieve benefits
until they are 18. Our daughter is 16 now, and still recieving benefits. We are in a small city in IL.

My mom applied in either Nov or Dec 2008 (can't remember the exact date), the approval didn't take long but she never lived to see her first check which was due to arrive in Mar 2009.

Oh asantiago, I am so sorry...that is exactly why we need to get Congress to change that waiting period for PALS! trying to stay positive, did you lose your benefit when she turned 16? I am told that is what happens unless you are of retirement age!

Indigosd, Thanks, I'm not sure I understand your question about turning 16. She was 51, I am 32. I often wondered if there wasn't something we could do to get her money to start sooner. The last three months of her life were such a whirlwind with so much going on, it was just one of many things on list of to dos that we never seemed to get to.

I have encouraged several people to apply early for it because it can take so long to see the benefits from it.

My "16" statement was for the post above your! lol No wonder you are not understanding! lol

AAAHHHH! DUH! Sorry, my bad. I didn't think of "trying to stay positive" as a user just read it literally.

lolol I so understand!

The eligible child DOES receive their portion until age 18. The portion that you receive as a parent goes away when they are age 16!
Age 19 if they are still in High School. I.E. Our son is 12. If DH dies before I turn 60, I will lose my portion of his SSDI benefit when our son is 16. I will need to reapply for benefits at age 60 as the surviving spouse.
At least that is what I was told by Social Security. We were 43 when we had our son. I HATE the hoops that they make you jump through to receive what you paid into it!

I don't have any answers regarding dependent children, but the SSDI application took about a month. I set up an in-person appointment at the local Social Security office, and the processor was really nice. She helped get everything done quickly, and she had the eligibility dated retroactively based on when my mother was no longer able to work. Medicare doesn't kick in until 6 months after disability, but be sure to clarify when the signs of disability first occurred. This can help with determining the date for which Medicare is available, as well as SSDI. The disability payments were dated retroactively as well, so the first check was huge. Hope that helps! We're in Texas.

Seems it's different from state to state, although it's a federal program. My husband was not given retroactive disability pay. His was based on the last day of employment. He chose to continue working for six months after diagnosed. Would have been nice to get a big fat check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back