11/2008
Country
US
State
MI
City
White Pine
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any ideas on using the public restrooms when I am with my son alone. There are rarely family restrooms and he doesn't want to go into the the ladies room. I have to be with him so I have been knocking on the men's room and then entering with him. Any tips?
Thanks,
Kathy

Kathy,
I had that same dilemma with my husband ... I got over my shyness and thought of my husbands needs and he needed to go. As I had a assist with pants and standing we had no choice. Don't be shy and don't worry about the funny looks. I found that most guys just turned and left the bathroom when they saw me in there. Kind of funny if you ask me. Tony and I would end up laughing which caused the bathroom trip to be even more comical as a result of his loud laughter coming out of the stall... Got people wondering what we were doing in there.. lol!

Kathy,

My wife goes with me into the men's bathroom to help me out. She opens the door and I go in on my scooter and make sure it is clear first. We always go into the handicap stall and lock the door where we have our privacy. After getting through, she will stay in the stall while I come out and make sure noone is in the bathroom. It's not the most comfortable thing, but we manage. Blessings to you and yours, Jake

Just annouce "lady coming in" walk in with a smile, if they have an issue they can leave. My husband and I had many laughs waiting in a stall...

We use the handy stall in the ladies room. Lee doesn't want to go in when the boys are hanging out so to speak and the women are in stalls. She announces, bringing in husband in wheelchair. Never had a problem in 2 years. After the first couple of times it's no big deal.

AL.

Ditto the others. I accompany DH into the men's bathroom, I make an announcement if it's a large bathroom or just open the door slowly and make sure I don't hear anyone. We were at a campground with my family and I had to take him into the women's showers. I went in first, said excuse me ma'am, I'm bringing my husband in for a shower, he's in a wheelchair, just wanted to let you know. She was perfectly fine with it. You do what you have to do. You should try it in a bar with a bunch of drunk men. They could care LESS who is in there with them... sheesh.

And a lot of venues, such as Oracle Arena where we watch the Warriors.. now have "Family Bathrooms" which makes things even easier!

OMG , EL just kicked into overdrive , I have laugh tears coming out.

Here is why ..... While both of you are in the stall , did you ever start with the make-out sounds when someone else is in there ?

Can you imagine ?

Glen

Glen. dude. You SO need to add that to your bucket list.

Glen,

They might think someone is constipated in there. :lol:

Andy had a portable "pee bottle." Most of the time we'd high tail it out to his van. Mostly, though, there was a family bathroom nearby. Our area seems to be pretty good about that. Although some concert venues didn't have them...the outdoor ones with the portajohns are a joke. We'd go find a corner somewhere....he usually was wearing a large tee shirt that could cover up the area.

You guys are making me jealous! If I ever managed to get out of my powerchair There is no way I could get back, even with my wife's help. And I am too shy to ask anyone else to lift me up and put me back into my chair! LOL.

You guys are a riot! Thanks for your comments. Actually it hasn't been that much of an issue for me. You are all right...men really don't care that I am there. Must be a "macho" thing. Once I couldn't get Chris up the stairs at my aunts house so we just "watered" the flowers outside. The problem was telling my 4 year old grandson that he couldn't do it too.
Love you all.
Kathy

Kinda off track, but my husband went to college football game with friends, got everything "undone," but couldn't get his jeans zipped and snapped back. He said he was in the stall for about twenty minutes! He finally was able to get 'er done...He said "What? I'm supposed to go back to the stands and ask a guy to zip me up and I'm at a #### football game?"

What are you to do when your pALS can walk, but can't really help himself due to upper limb issues?

Hold it! No other choice for me. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back