Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
Hi all. My husband, a former marathon runner, is still able to run/walks almost daily. I have noticed that when he gets home, he's not sweating at all, which indicates to me that he's probably letting himself get dehydrated. But if I say anything, he gets angry and just glares at me. I am really trying to be patient and only make suggestions when there's a safety issue, but he doesn't want to hear it. (He's also definitly had some cognitive/personality changes over the past couple of years even though he was only actually diagnosed last month.) Anyway... anyone have any suggestions on how to get a cranky PALS to take in fluids before he lands himself in the hospital?

Thanks.

katie

Hi Katie.
Would he be receptive to sitting down with you when he comes home for a snack of veggies with dip and a cold beer,if the weather is nice outside, it would be a start, also you could appeal to his health side and suggest watermelon or fruit with yogurt, make it fun . I have been married for 40years and have had the same reactions you had, I have learnt to use reverse phyicology, make him think he is doing good. Sorry guys but that is the only way!

The watermelon suggestion is BRILLIANT! THAT he will do, and he loves his non-alcoholic beer. (Alcohol was an issue in his pre-PALS self and we have stayed with the "substitutes").. both great ideas that could work on a hot, dry day. Thanks much!

Maybe one of those fruit salad mixes you see in some grocery stores. They have cantaloupe, watermelon, etc. A little spice in life can't be all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back