Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
South Williamsport
My brother (ALS) has quit speaking to my mother and me. Mom is in the end stages of Emphysema and has an apartment in an assisted living facility not far from either of us. Jimmy is angry and blows things way out of proportion. He cannot lift his arms nor stand unassisted and was using a walker. It seems he is losing touch with reality. Is this common? This is breaking my Mom's heart as he was always her fav.

It would be good to get some medication to take care of the emotional problems. It is common for this to happen but it can be dealt with by proper medication.

I second Joel's recommendation.
I understand his anger , but he needs the help to keep it in check.

Glen

Thanks, sadly he will not return our phone calls and "we" are the enemy. His immediate family is of little help. He had wanted his wife to take his place as co executor of my mom, which Mom and I refused to agree to. That is what I meant by not being realistic. Mom is going to call our Pastor tomorrow. I just feel overwhelmed at times having to take care of things for Mom...her house has been sold and now I have to empty it. It is amazing how many rolled up dry cleaner bags I am finding and clean empty margarine containers! Thanks for being there. This forum has been so much help.

Does your brother go to an ALS Clinic? Have you been there with him before?

It sounds like Emotional Lability, maybe. Sometimes you can get the clinic to ask the ALSA to intervene and check the situation out.

Surely if he is angry with y'all, he also is angry with his wife. My husband's anger has been non-discriminatory! The neighbors, you name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back