Diagnosis
0/2009
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Sydney
My uncle took my mother to a doctor for me yesterday afternoon (My 4 year old had 40 degree (104 in US temps) temps so I couldn't leave the house!), as she had written she had fever for a few days and her volunteer had taken her out but agreed that it sounded like she had a chest infection. All week mum has been complaining that she had tonsilitis, her feet have been extremely cold at night and very disturbed sleep.

My uncle informed me that the doctor checked her throat and nose, and all seems fairly normal - so possibly not a cold. He has given her antibiotics to see if that helps her get the chest infection better, but if not better by Friday we have to take her back for an xray to see what is there, as he says there is definately something in her left lung.

Could this be aspiration, as even though she has swallowing issues she continues to eat little pieces of steak and mashed veges, and does not thicken her juice or tea even though advised to by the Speech pathologist. On the outside, the only way mum looks ill is that she has a runny nose (my three kids and I have been sick with flus etc over the past few weeks so I know what a flu infected person should look like - though I'm no doctor!)

The doctor also suggested this could just be the disease taking hold of the lungs and affecting the muscles so she cant get a full breath. I spoke to her best friend, and she did say to me last she saw mum three weeks ago (Mum keeps cancelling their visits) they noticed mums heavy breathing.

My question, if it is aspiration,what do they do to clear it up, or will it just lead to pneumonia, or if it is the MND taking over her lungs,what should we be doing.
Hoping obviously it is just a generic every day chest infection if they exist!

Thanks
Gelthling

Hi, Gelthling My husband does the same as your Mom. He eats what ever he wants even if it is chocking the heck out of him. He ended up in the hospital last XMas with pneumonia and conjestive heart failure. He had already taken two rounds of atibiotics. Finally, after 2 and 1/2 days in hospital on iv antibiotics it cleared up. I had the flu i n March and the next thing he was coughing up green phelm fight avay I cald the Dr. and they put him on antibiotics and thank god it cleared up. Keep the faith and call the Dr weather she likes it or not. His lung Dr didn't hesitate to call in a scrip. She had told us some people have to take antibiotics regularly. Sorry things areso hard sick kids and mom is rough.

Best, Rhonda

Yes, it will eventually turn to pneumonia. My Mom was on bipap and was also eating pureed foods and aspirated. She ended up in the ER, had pneumonia due to aspiration. It is usually the lower right lung that gets infected. She now has a trach and no pneumonia since she stopped eating. She loved to eat but says she wantes to live and does not want to go through that again. Just keep an eye on it. Take her temp regularly. Good luck.
Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back