Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
xxx
City
on the plains
I have come to the conclusion that I need help. I would like for someone to be able to come a day or two a week. My question to you is this: How do I go about finding such help?

We live in a small town with a poor to mediocre hospital and staff. Home health is not an option. I have visited with several CNA's but neither think they can handle it.
What skills do I look for? What should I be ready to pay? What advice can you give me?
Thanks for holding my hand on this. I hate to hire someone but I've got to get a break.

Hopeful, I'm sure prices are different (higher) in L.A. than other places, but these are the going rates here. Through an agency for a companion, household help and limited medical and physical assistance, it's $23 an hour. With a private person (no agency), it's $12 to $15 an hour. (These caregivers are WAY underpaid and don't get any benefits.)

It depends on what your needs are. If you need someone to help with a feeding tube, the cost goes WAY UP in L.A., because of insurance liability and state licensing laws. It may be different elsewhere.

Our caregiver prepares meals, drives us to appointments, does all the grocery shopping, housecleaning, laundry, manages my husband's digestive issues (I'll leave it at that), supervises our meds (we don't really need that, but I feel more comfortable with back-up), makes phone calls for me, assists us with dressing and bathing, feeds our cats, etc., etc. Gets the car washed! Waters the lawn ! I had no idea how much I was doing each day until I started to pay someone else to do it all.

What I looked for was personality and comfort level and some experience. This woman was sent straight from heaven, I'm sure. I wish I could clone her for other PALS. She had cared for a PALS in the past, and is taking care of another PALS nearby in the mornings, is confident and unflappable, and a very kindly person. Plus she laughs at all my jokes!

I think personality and comfort level are the most important. If you find someone you like and who who seems eager to pitch in, you can train them to help with more complex tasts.

Thank you, Beth. I appreciate your input.

Our hospice nurse gave me a list from a local company called 'Comfort Keepers'. This group offers RN's while I'm at work at an hourly rate of $36.50. We aren't at the point that we need an 8 hour a day nurse but its nice to know that they are there when/if we do.

I would not go through an agency as they have too many rules. I would advertise for a non-professional person and train them. It is really quite simple to train someone and then they will not suffer from regulations. The cost is also a lot less, like $10.00 to $15.00 per hour.

Thank you all for your input. I will not be able to use an agency. There is simply nothing like that available in this part of the state.

As Joel said, it is good to find someone and train them. That is what I did. She is wonderful. She only comes 2 days a week for 3 hours each time but at least I get to leave the house alone. Our respiratory therapist trained her to suction and care for the trach. She doesn't do anything else but sit with mom and bathe her. Her job is pretty easy and I pay her $14.00 an hour. I give her more each week when I can afford to. She works at a nursing home as an aide. You might want to call nursing homes. God bless!
Laura

In addition to nursing homes you may want to try assisted living facilities. There was a CNA at the place my mom was at that wanted my mom to hire her when she left because she wanted to change hours.

Pain Pills stolen. Who did it? Wonder who to trust?

Has anyone thought of checking with the pastor of a local church to see if they would recommend someone? Just a thought. It seems all the caregivers I have had with hospice are Christians and are in the business because they want to help people.
I am always cautious of someone who might be there to try to get drugs or whatever. I have heard some horror stories and just last week my home was entered through an unlocked window and someone stole my Lortabs. I had almost a full bottle and they left about 5. I knew they had been in because there was a footprint where the water had dripped from my shower chair right in front of my medicine box. Also the back bedroom window was missing a screen and the window had been closed with branches from a nearby bush hung in the window.

Al, that is very scary! Thank goodness whoever broke in only took your pills & didn't harm anyone!

I bought a safe from Amazon.com to keep all the meds in. It cost around $70 & the shipping was free. With a teenage daughter who has friends over, it was well worth the peace of mind.

Please be careful & make sure your doors & windows are locked!

Handicapped 85 year old murdered in Gulfport

Last month there was an article where an 85 year old wheelchair bound person was beat to death during a robbery here. The robbers got $200 for their efforts.
What is our world coming to?
Please read the latest entry to my blogs.

Aids

When I met Linda another PALS in the hospital. She could hardly find any Aids that would do it for $15.00 an hour. And they were scared to death. I know what we go through with Tim and I could not see anybody doing it for that. I told my brother Dale one day, I couldn't see anybody doing it for less than $25.00 an hour. Tim is Blessed. Just wish he would realize it!

It is a lot of responsability. And I think the worse the progression, the more complicated it is. Just from my own experience. There are things I know what to do and check for, when my Family don't. They call me.

We had a horrible time last sunday. Our wonderful Volunteer from Hospice was there to visit Tim. He had temp of 101 we had given him meds for it. An hour later I checked it it was 103.1. I called for a hospice nurse right away. It took them two hours to get there. It went to 105. I gave him two Loratabs. It went down finally below 101 after two hours. She had an antibiotic called in and I picked it up. She changed his Cath. suspected a bladder or urinary track infection. I also gave him more Lasic's he had a lot of Endema. I was there to midnight making sure he was ok.

The Nurse Me and Dale was running crazy. I could not see one person handling this. I am on call 24/7 for Tim. I have had three calls today on questions on what to do for him. And yesterday.

Just some input,

Lorie

Not all people have the problems Tim has. I am sorry he has these kinds of problems but a lot of PALS don't and it is no problem to look after them. It is not a big responsibility or a lot of responsibility.

Ok

I don't mean to offend you Joel, If you say so! I know a lot that do. Sorry!

Just from my own friendships with PALS and CALS. Not just on this Forum or just with TIM!.

Lorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back