Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Waterloo
Lord, my hubby is scaring me to death, he pushes himself so hard. I know that he needs to do things for himself, he cannot stand being cooped up in the house, but he got the mower stuck yesterday and I went to help him get it unstuck and the mower hit him and he fell in the road in front of our house. He hit his head a pretty good lick and skinned both knees trying to get up. I finally got to him and had to lift him up. I dont' know how I did it but I was so scared it seemed like he didn't weigh much. How can I explain what I am feeling to him without making him feel guilty for trying to live? Sorry I am venting, I am just concerned about him and don't want him hurt. My neighbors say just let him go and do whatever he wants, if he falls again just be there to pick him up. I don't know what to do, I am at a loss, anyone have any suggestions?

As sad as it is, you will have to be strong enough to let him do whatever he wants and can do. Unless what he does is seriously reckless, support him all you can. I say this because there will come a day that he will not be able to even attempt to mow the yard. Let him do whatever now and enjoy whatever you can now,too.

Support your PAL...

Wow! How I can relate to this! My husband loves motorcycling. Lots. As he puts it - just tilt the horizon and roll on! I get worried about him riding, but have decided that he gets to go if he follows two rules - rules that we both agree on!

1. He has to feel like it. (You know, this sounds like no big thing, doesn't it? But it isn't. Think about how long it takes for a PAL to recover from something that takes more energy than his present norm. A couple of days at least.)

2. He does not ride alone (another motorcyclist must go with him - on his own bike, of course!)

And, since he carries a cell phone, I can go into minimal worry mode. I just tell him to keep the rubber side down. He is actually considering a Piaggio bike that would help him at low speeds. Who knows? But, whatever he does, he has my full support & love. Can't do it any other way.

That is the way I must be for him. Supportive of him living his life the way he wants for as long as he wants. It's one way of showing your PAL that you love him. I am sure there are as many ways to show your love as there are grains of sand. I am also sure that I will find more ways as time goes on.

Take care of you and yours,
Lynn
PAL diagnosed 08/08

Ditto the others!

I make sure my husband takes a cell phone also. He still drives and feels it is safe to do so. But his arms and hands are very weak.

Today he went to get some red oak that needed to be cut and hauled. I asked him if he didn't think he needed someone to go with him. He tried to reach his friend that has a varying work schedule, but was unable to do so. I was worried the whole time that he was going to cut himself to pieces with the chain saw. Someone must have been looking out for him, as the chain saw wouldn't start! (he just got it repaired too!) :mrgreen: I have to admit, that was a relief!

Take heart! You aren't the only one in the boat! They'll know when to give the oars to us!

I feel for you. DH had so many falls, broke his arm and leg, gashed his head, passed out on me, had a few ER trips, etc. etc. but he insisted on keeping on until he just couldn't anymore. One time he fell down the back deck stairs and wasn't even going to let me know! He's a stubborn one, but now I wish he could walk around the yard or the house. I know it's scary for you. It got to the point that my stomach would literally hurt every time he walked.

I agree with the others. You just have to be supportive and just be there when he falls.

I know you don't want my opinion on this but I just can't resist giving it! LOL

I think your PALS need a slap across the head.

As a PALS I have gone out of my way to make sure my wife does not have to worry about me. I gave up each thing before I was in danger of injuring myself or someone else as I did not want to cause my fantastic wife undue stress and worry.

I have been told that I do not understand because I could not have been an active person before ALS. Nothing could be further from the truth! I worked 16 hours a day and then spent the rest of the time outdoors doing things. I lived on less than 5 hours of sleep a night.

We lived in the bush and cut our own firewood, we spent untold hours on our boat fishing and camping. We lived outdoors, hiking, helping our kids. I could go on and on - we were not couch potatoes.

I gave all this up so not to worry my wife - before I risked hurting myself.

I wish more PALS would do this and spare their CALS the worry.

Sorry, I just had to say that!

LOL Joel! Your SPECIAL! Not to say my husband isn't, but perhaps you have the special looking glass that some are reluctant to pick up and see thru!

PS- My husband got home today and tried to get me to help him with the chain saw. (I'm a wimp) We couldn't crank it together. He tried three more times and on the third it worked! Oh---did I mention on the third try he only had socks on...no shoes... This was to enable him to put his foot thru the handle part and pull the thingy to start it, as his shoe was interfering! Victory? OOO...KKK...

Let ya know how this turns out...

Sorry to hear about your husband's fall. My husband just took a really bad fall on Saturday in the wee hours of the morning in the bathroom. He had to get nine staples in his head.

Joel- I agree with what CJ said. You are special! Not too many guys are going to be as considerate to their wife's worry meter...LOL

Bring to life old stories for a laugh.

Joel is kind and considerate, just the opposite of me I guess with my crazy Lawn mower stories. it made my wife afraid to leave because she never knew what I would get into while she was gone.
I'm learning. Just a slow learned I guess Joel. For more funny stories of some of us men who are not as considerate please read the following thread. There are many stories there, here is just one:
OK it is about time to bring up the old stories so the new members can get a laugh at our expense.

Latest, tell on myself story:
My grandson is living with me, he is 17, and part of his chores are to cut the grass. It has not been cut in over a month. My wife was complaining about the weed eating that needed to be done and I began to think. DANGER! DANGER!

Now how can I possibly run a weed eater from my Quantum 6000 power wheelchair? You already know what is coming based on the past stories.
I waited until I was home alone, in other words wifie gone to town shopping, won't be back for awhile to catch me. :evil::evil:
I ran the extension cords out into the yard and laid the weed whacker thingy on the arm rail of my wheelchair facing to the left. If I ran the wheelchair at just the right distance from the flower bed then it would trim the grass right up to the edging.

So I have my little sweat band on my head, weed eater in action, it is working. I am so proud of my way of figuring things out. Almost like that TV character McGiver. Wow, I am so smart, pat on the back.:mrgreen:

Of course in order to move through the heavy uncut grass I had to set my power wheelchair on high speed. Things were going great for about 40 feet then I came to a curve in the flower bed. (Pause for effect)

The weed eater caught on something and jumped off the rail of the wheelchair, and I moved to try to catch it and hit the control and full speed ahead into the flower bed with a 7 foot tall bush in my face. No problem, I begin to back up and discovered my front wheels had crossed a line of bricks that were buried in the dirt that I had not seen before. I was stuck. In the bushes. Oh, it gets better.

There was a ceramic pot about 2 feet high dead ahead, and inside the pot...............a nest of wasps......I discovered that when I hit the pot going forward, since this was the only direction the wheelchair would move. The pot broke, the wasps came out mad to say the least and then the wheelchair stopped after moving only 6 inches. I was stuck.

I had prepared for any and all possible problems by bringing my phone with me, just in case.......... I begin to call everyone I knew to come help pull me out of the bushes, before "SHE" :evil: came home. No one answered the phone. :(

It was then that I begin to go over many of the other stories on this thread where some of us found ourselves in bad situations. I also remembered the reaction my wife had when she "Caught me", in those situations. As I pondered these thoughts for several minutes and begin to seriously think of calling 911 for help, my wife drove up. :shock::shock:

I will not go into detail here about the new names I have learned I can be called during stressful moments. After all, she may have been somewhat justified in this case.:-D:-D:-D

I am to say the least, in a pickle.
Yours Truly
McGiver want-a-be Retired.

MTPOCKETS I am gonna send your wife some duct tape, she can just tie u up when she goes to town. lmbo

Lol lol lol

At least maybe you will get a good laugh out of our "adventures".

Joel, I agree that there are some things that we as PALS should not be trying to do but it is sometimes difficult to know just what those things are and how to get them done otherwise. Especially when you're someone like me who still has (some) use of my arms and legs but can't talk. So far I can still do some yard work and it is often easier for me to do something than to try to explain how to do it to someone else. I know, I know, just like most men. Because of this my wife has asked me to write an instruction manual for our house. We live on an acreage with a water well, a septic tank and field, and a long driveway which I plow with a quad. Oh, and we have a large lawn and a lot of trees, some of which fall down occasionally so we also have a chain saw to cut them up for firewood. I have taught myself all about all of the things that need doing around here and now I have to teach my wife and son so that it becomes something that they understand and can do themselves without having to hire someone. I am still trying to still be useful and because I have always been mechanically inclined I have a hard time explaining things to those that aren't (wife and son). So struggle do do things or struggle to explain how to do things? Either way it's not easy. Both my wife and I love living here as it is so peaceful and we want her to be able to stay living here so I guess I'll just have to do my best at the knowledge transfer.

CJ, you know in the chain saw instruction manual they tell you to put your foot through the handle to hold it while you're pulling the starter cord. But there is no way with regular boots/shoes (not to even mention steel-toed safety boots) to fit them through the handle. So I absolutely know what you mean, but only wearing socks is not my idea of a good thing.

Given the amount of head injuries that we PALS are suffering I think that we should all wear hardhats all of the time. I'm going to put one on in the shower but not sure how to wash my hair with it on! :smile:

Barry

Great story Capt. Al. You are a man that I can look up to. I'm always looking for new ways to do things and I promise to learn from your adventures. And remember that duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon!

Thanks for the laugh MTPockets..LOL What a great story...NOW...I'm sure it was not so great THEN!

Barry, I can soooo much relate to what you said. I always did everything and now I have to rely on my wife and she has no mechanical sense at all. It is impossible to explain things to her so life gets extremely frustrating at times, but I love her to pieces so I fight to make life as easy for her as possible. I spend most of my days being extremely frustrated because there are things that need to be done that would only have taken me a few minutes to do and she can't do them so they get left undone. But because I love her I don't say anything, and life goes on. I wish there was a cure for all of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back