Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Charlotte
Greetings,

My father was diagnosed with ALS 5 years ago. Until now, he has been able to use the bathroom by himself. Recently, his arms have started to lose strength thus making it more difficult for him to transfer himself from his wheelchair onto the toilet and vice-versa. I have proposed to him that he get a colostomy. He feels, at his age (70) and with little strength in his abdomen, he will not survive this surgery. So I am hoping someone on these forums can offer some suggestions on alternatives. My father has mentioned the use of bedpans, but that only works when he's in bed. Not when he's up during the day.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Many thanks!

-Ken

Ken,

I'm afraid you haven't given us enough info! If he has little strength in his abdomen, I assume he is having breathing difficulties. It would be risky for any pALS to undergo surgery with compromised breathing.

Does he have any caregivers that stay with him?

There are lifts to help with transferring. Also, condom catheters. Perhaps those with more experience in this will chime in. (might be a while, as it's the weekend)

PS- great you are trying to find a solution for your father!

Last edited:
Thank you CJ. I am not with my father 24/7 (my sister is) as he is in California. I cannot speak to how compromised his breathing is but to say that he is not on any breathing apparatus and can still breathe on his own.

Thanks for the input. I'll do some research on condom catheters.

Ken,

Your sister may want to get in touch with the nearest ALS Association and the MDA, if she hasn't already. They have loan closets and if he's in need of a lift for transferring, they may have one (along with other items an ALSA rep might be able to recommend with a home visit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back