Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Longview
My husband is on medicare and they were providing physical therapy. Recently we were told that he was not reaching his goals, so they stopped services. I was livid. Are there any patients or caregivers out there that are receiving physical therapy for your patient? and is it provided by medicare?

We're getting our PT through Hospice, but Medicare is paying Hospice. What "goals" would they establish for an ALS patient? Sounds like someone at Medicare doesn't understand the illiness. Comfort, care giver training and assessing the patients progression are the primary goals. ALS doesn't get "better", but we can maintain a high quality of life for a long time, with the right help. I'd look for a local advocacy group that is willing to help you go to war with medicare. They hate talking to lawyers and some groups will do this pro bono. Good luck.

Techpet,
My husband has PT twice a week and medicare pays for it. The therapist does not have a "goal" for him. He goes to therapy only to be stretched and nothing else. They wanted to try weights to help build/keep his muscle mass, but he told them that it wasn't possible and he could only do the stretching. He feels a lot better after his appointments and can tell when he has missed too many days in between visits.

I hope you are able to get this straightened out and your husband can continue his therapy.

Take care.
Pam B in Va

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back