Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
OR
City
Albany
Hello All,

I am not even sure why I am writing this, I just need to get it all out I think.

When your mother is diagnosed with ALS, if you are like me, you greive, you grieve for days, months, years.
You grieve every single loss. Loss of her speech, loss of her abililty to swallow, loss of her ability to kiss, loss of her ability to raise her arms above her head, loss of her ability to hold her first grandchild, loss of her ability to move her arms or hands at all, loss of her ability to hold her head up, loss of her ability to ring a bell so we can help her, loss of her ability to write, loss of her ability to point to an alphabet board, loss of her ability to breathe,so many losses over the last 3 years.
In the days after my mother's passing I honestly just felt a huge sense of relief and joy for her. We tried to make her life joyful, and comfortable, however I feel we fell short over and over again. The day before she passed I felt clearer than anything I have ever felt in my life that I was to go and just hold her hand. I held her hand for two hours. Usually I would just chatter, tell stories, try and fix things for her, on that day I just sat and held her hand.
I would give anything to hold her hand again. I know I am being selfish, she is finally at peace and is whole! She can have a drink of water now. I think the significant thing about loosing someone to this disease is... that sense of releif that comes when they pass. I thought there might be something wrong with me, in that I felt joy even. Now that it is 6 weeks later, I just feel sadness and a deep sense of loss. I am beginning to remember her before ALS, and it just isn't fair that such a beautiful and strong woman is now gone. She did nothing to deserve this, took great care of herself, cared for others, was a lovely human being. Of course I am glad the suffering is over, but WHY did she need to suffer at all.
I know we don't have any answers this side of heaven, I am just needing to put it all down.
So many of you have offered hope and encouragement throughout the journey.
I guess one thing I must say to each of you caring for a PAL is, treasure each day. They will not last forever. I feel like if I had known the end date I would have done more, held her more, just sat with her more. As you are in the day to day caring for your loved one, it just feels overwhelming at times. I know, however now..... I just cannot believe I didn't see the end was near. I was just in survival mode I suppose. Hug those PALS even if it feels like a hard conversation, tell them how sorry you are they got a raw deal. Tell them how much they mean to you, how their courage and grace inspire you to do and be all that you can be. Tell them they truly will receive their reward one day, and for goodness sake pray, pray, pray that they might be healed! Wouldn't that just be awesome.
Thanks for listening.
Love,
Holly

Such beautiful poignant heartfelt words Holly. You did the very best you could have done for your mother.
Laurel

I understand your mixed feelings. On the one hand you are grateful that they are no longer suffering and on the other you miss them terribly. It takes a while but gradually you start remembering them as they were before they got this horrible disease. It will be 5 months from the loss of my brother on Wed.. Take care of yourself and try to remember the good times instead of regreting what you wish you had done. You did your best coping with a horrible disease and I'm sure your mother appeciated every thing that you did for her.

Thank you for sharing this.. As much as I want my Mom's suffering to stop.. I too don't want to loose her.. and ask myself am I being selfish for thinking either way.. Am I selfish that I want her to pass to end all her suffering, or am I being selfish that I want her to live longer and longer..

Hugs to you! I feel exactly the same way. I too just lost my mom, Saturday marked 5 weeks ago. I think of her non stop. I cry everyday. I can't stop thinking of her as she was the last few months. She is in my dreams at night and my thoughts as I lie in bed unable to sleep in the early hours every morning.

I completely get what you mean about survival mode. It was just so much work and so overwhelming that I didn't always have the time to do the above and beyond things for her I always wanted to do. The day she died I felt devastation, the two days following I felt relief. Then the visitation and funeral came and I've hardly had a dry eye since.

I catch myself going to call her about 10 times/day. Some days it doesn't even seem real, it just happened so fast.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope you can find peace soon!

Holly, what a beautiful post! At 1:00 o'clock in the morning, I bet you felt a quiteness, your heart still in a lot of pain, but your mind was at ease (a little, I must say), and God was right beside you helping you with your thoughts as you were typing them down. I, as a mom that lost my son nearly 2 years ago, sometimes gather my thoughts late at night after everybody goes to sleep, I then pray for my son, and find myself trying to talk to him. No, there is nothing wrong with us feeling this way......it's only normal. You are right about the feeling of relief after our Father carries them home off to a new life, where there is no more pain. You bet it's hard to watch your loved one waste away. That will forever be in your mind. You try to picture them as they were before they got sick, and then this dang disease pops in your mind. Then again....it will never go away, just be glad they are no longer suffering. I still wonder why my son was struck with this damn disease, I guess I will never know the answer. May they rest in peace.
Okay dear, I am gone. I will keep you in my prayers, and thanks for sharing with us. May He bless you, and may your sweet mom rest in peace.

Irma

Peace be with you too, asantiago, and may your mom rest in peace. Prayers your way.

Irma

I have the same feelings. I spend so much time trying to keep up with everything for both my mom and dad that I need to keep reminding myself to spend more time just being with them. Since the time with her/them is limited I don't want it to slip away from me while I'm caught up with the daily chaos and have regrets which I will probably have no matter what I do.

Thank you, each and every one of you for your kind words, encouragement, sympathy, they truly mean alot. I hate that each of you are living this with me. I keep each of you in prayer, and am so hopeful that one day we will find a cure to end this suffering. I cannot imagine losing your child, I pray for special, special peace for you dear one.

Thank You,
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back