Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
san diego
My brother has lost so much muscle functioning and continues to have so much pain that he is now bed bound lying on his stomach. He has lost leg muscles, back and stomach muscles and shoulder muscles. He can still use his hands and forearms some and can move his neck. He can still talk, eat etc. He reports significant pain when on his back or if put in a sitting position for more than 5 minutes so he refuses to sit in his wheelchair or on a bedpan or commode.

He has the sensation of constipation but passes stool. He has being given laxatives, stool softeners, and enemas...but still feels constipated. He would like to have a "blow out" using something like a colonoscopy prep type thing to clean him out. The doctors have refused.

I was wondering if the sensation of constipation is common with ALS when mobility is this impaired? and also what types of bowel management programs have been helpful for others.

Thanks,
Tara

Hi Tara

My Mum had very painful constipation and , in addition to enemas had " manual removal" of the stools . She also had very strong pain relief for the cramping she experienced with the constipation \trapped wind. One of her lovely nurses turned Mum on to her left side , on occasion as apparently this encourages natural expelation of wind.

It did seem to help but not sure how medically correct this is !

Kind regards

Flowerpot

Try Fleet Phos Soda Two Teasspoon With Water That Works
Pat

Taratune,

Walmart carries a bottle of "Magnesium Citrate" in the pharmacy. It's a glass bottle of clear liquid that you drink and it has a lemony flavor. I have used it and believe me, it will clean your colon out. It's only like a 1.50 cents. Best wishes, Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back