Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
ND
City
Rural
But I'm a friend/caregiver of a 65 y/o lady that has been diagnosed with limb onset of ALS since August 07. Her condition has decreased rapidly, in Sept '07 she was still walking, and using her limbs. In March, she was hospitalized, and has lost most of the use of all of her limbs, her swallowing ability is severely limited, and she is getting most nutrition through a feeding tube. Her speech is barely understandable, and she can only slightly move her head, the other limbs have been useless for months.
Since her diagnosis, her decline has been rapid. It is so sad to see a wonderful woman suffer the way she has to suffer...her countless friends and family are shocked/saddened/distraught at her condition and we all worry about losing her.

My question is this,,,I'm unsure of how else her body can fail her. What will eventually take her from us? She has no limbs, she can't talk, she can barely swallow soft foods (and usually she chokes/coughs). How much worse will happen to her? How much more will she have to suffer through? How can her family and friends go on day after day helping her and watching her suffer?

This is my first post here, and it felt good to rant a bit. Thanks for listening/responding.

Hi sa andy. You're not morbid at all. A rant is ok here and a quest for support and answers. The website below might help you understand the process that your friend will go through. While it is not ALS specific it may help.

AL.

http://www.hospicenet.org/html/preparing_for.html

If your friend is not using any help with breathing, such as a BiPAP machine or a Ventilator, then she will most likely suffer with respiratory distress. The muscles in the diaphragm will weaken and she will not be able to breathe on her own. Of course she could suffer from something totally unrelated to ALS as well.

I'm very sorry about your friend. I wish you and her family the best.

And welcome to the forum.

Hello sa andy,

Please check out the site from Al. We welcome you to rant and rave on here- everyone is so helpful. I hope you will find comfort when you are on here. I will keep you in my prayers,
Keep the faith,
brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back