Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
GA
City
Riverdale
My mother in law was diagnosed with ALS in June 2008. My sister-in-law happened to move in almost a year ago...so having her there is a blessing in disguise. But since my husband and I live about 20 mins away, we're not fulltime caregivers. It mostly falls on my sister-in-law, who also has a husband and 3 kids that she has to care for as well. How do I help her? When I'm there, I try to do as much as possible...cook, clean, whatever she needs us to do. I've also told my husband that we should get the kids for her at least once or twice a month and keep them overnight. I still feel like we're not doing enough. Any suggestions from fulltime caregivers? What were things that you really appreciated from others, or things you wish something could do for you? Thanks in advance guys! God knows this disease affects the entire family and I want to make sure we do our part.

Hello and Welcome, Whatever you need you'll find it on this Forum. One thing I know my daughter appreciated if someone came and stayed so she could get out of the house,even an over night to give her a break, and uninterrupted sleep. Other than that anything you do to help and support will surely be appreciated. MyBest to you, Beebe

Hi brownhornet,

Is your mom registered with the local Muscular Dystrophy Association office? You should get that done. They can help in a variety of ways, including leg braces/wheelchairs, communications devices, clinic visits & support groups.

You can find your local office at www.mdausa.org

Good luck and God bless.

Kevin

I am sure whatever support you can give is very much appretiated. Just by being thre provides emotional support and talking over your feelings help; I went abroad to give support to look after my brother-in -law for 3 months, I didn't know what I would be able to do to help. The family were so grateful, we cried together, got angry at times and laughed about things. The emotional strain was great so just having another body around relieves a lot of anxiety during difficult times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back