Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie1966

I posted a message in the healthcare professionals but I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this. Last night my patient and friend Richard lost his battle here on earth w/ ALS after numerous attempts of CPR due to Richard not having a DO NOT RESUSITATE ORDER they legally had to keep doing CPR to him last night until Richards wife Screamed STOP YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK HIS RIBS! I just hope you all have this kind of order for you love ones so you dont have that lasting memory of CPR on your loved on like Phillis has on her mind God bless you Jackie

Dear Jackie,
I dont understand if Richard has a DNR order why were they trying to use CPR when it goes against the order. People who do not want to be resucitated think long and hard about this decison. It must of been very hard for his wife to watch this especially when she knew Richard did not want this kind of thing to happen. It was his decison and something I'm sure him and his wife talked about very seriously . Why was it not honoured, that is why we have these living will made up but if they are not going to be followed through what is the point. I just sent a resident of mine to the hospital last night with a DNR order and even though it would of been awful to see this man die it was his wish not to be resucitated. Thankfully it did not come to that but knowing him and if they would of tried would of been very upsetting for him.This is a legal document and should be treated like one. Thanks for the info it was very informative but also upsetting. Sincere condolences to your freind.
Kim ALS About Loving Someone

Kim my patient Richard did not have a DNR order , so legally they had to do CPR there is a form called advance directive that was in place but the DNR place wasn't signed (good old medicare paperwork) I guess there has to be a DNR signed on advancedirectives, DNR signed on a living will, and stated to the primary DR reguarding a DNR. Kim its crazy all the BS red tape that a person has to go through to have their wishes known .Thank you for your kind words for Philyis she is coping as best as she can . Kim I am sure Richard wont be my last ALS patient I had another patient that has ALS and his ALS stage was totally different from Riches, I have learned so much from this forum as well as both of my ALS patients thank you for info that you have given on your posts Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back