Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OH
City
Berlin Heights
We now have Hospice in the home for my dad. On Friday I told his RN that he had a coughing episode earlier in the day where he was gasping for air she informed us it might be time that he gets oxygen. My dad has a bipap machine that he uses at night when he sleeps. I am so lost i need everyone’s advice. Should my dad use his bipap machine all day or should he get oxygen? What has helped your pals? It is getting harder for him to breathe. I am going to ask his doctor tomorrow what she thinks. Thanks for all the advice! God Bess you all!

Ask the doctor

Amanda
You are doing what is best by asking his doctor. My father needed the bipap with oxygen too. He did so much better being able to breathe, but let his doctor determine what level of care he needs. dadspooh

Hi Amanda. Make sure the doctor is familar with the problems associated with giving oxygen to ALS patients. The CO2 can build up in the blood because of decreased ability to push it out because of decreased chest and diaphram muscles. A surprising number of doctors not seeing a lot of ALS patients are unaware of this. The CO2 should be monitored as well as oxygen if they give it to him.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back