Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Tampa
Hi Everyone..it's been awhile since i've posted anything, but I do visit and read everything I can..anyway..My husband's ALS seems to be progressing pretty quickly now..he has very limited use of arms/hands..can still get a sandwich or his fork to his mouth..but he has to really think about it..but..my question is..lately when he is trying to brush his teeth..he starts to gag often and he has started coughing (very weakly) alot when he is eating...? has any one had these symptom too?

Hi Jeanie, These are common symptoms of ALS that occur when the muscles used for swallowing begin to deteriorate. Initially, cutting food into small pieces, eating softer foods, and learning techniques that assist swallowing (like tucking your chin down) can help. You need an appointment with a speech therapist who has experience with ALS to evaluate his situation (could include a barium swallow test) and make recommendations. Eventually, his ability to swallow solid foods may be lost, and he will need a blended diet. If he is losing weight with the increased difficulty eating, this is a serious concern. He may at some point need a PEG tube, which is a tube surgically inserted through the lining of the stomach to allow direct feeding. This is something to consider and investigate before it is necessary, so your husband can make an informed decision to choose this intervention.
I'm sorry he is experiencing rapid progression at this point. It can be so difficult to adjust to each change and increased need for support when they occur quickly. It might help if your husband's doctor , the ALSA and or MDA can assist you in preparing for his upcoming needs.

Thank you for responding..he isnt loosing weigh yet..seems to be just the beginning of yet another "challege" as we call them around here...We were going to an ALS Clinic in St Pete..but now have changed over the the VA..wow..they have really been great about giving us just about anything he needs..they have provided a lift for me to transfer , a wonderful shower chair, and a number of other equipments that have been great in making his life a little easier! anyway..we will take into account what you have said and bring it up at the next dr appt...thanks..lord knows i dont need to invent things to worry about and was just wondering if that was what i was doing...

I am sure glad to hear you have somewhere to go for support and assistance, and that you have access to equipment from them. Sounds like the VA has been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back