CALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Pembroke
Hi Everyone,
My dad is not doing to good since he got his peg tube last month it was really tough to get back up on his feet. He just seemed to be getting there and now he has such a flem build up on his chest he just coughs & coughs. We have been to the hospital to make sure it isn't phenmouna and they say it isn't but gave him an antibiotic in hopes to cear up the flem. They also decided it was time for oxygen at home so yesterday was not a great day. This morning he is complaning about how weak he is and how he feel so funny does anyone have and suggestions on what I can give him to help with his energy level? He doesn't even want to get out of bed to go to the washroom, and this is so out of character for my father I think it is playing more of a mental tole on him more than anything......Thanks for listening it feels good to talk a bit sorry any input would be great.

Thanks,
Wendy

Hi Wendy. Does your dad go to an ALS Clinic? If so, I'd be calling the Pulmonologist there. He may be not getting rid of the CO2 in his blood and that could make him feel funny as he calls it. Doees he wake up with slight headaches? The oxygen wouldn't help with this if he needed a Bipap.
AL.

Hi Al,

Yes we do go to the ALS clinic so maybe I will give them a call about this and yes he does wake up with headaches. What is a bipap? I don't recall talking with anyone about this. Thanks for you help I hate feeling so helpless.
Wendy

Hi Wendy. A Pipap is a machine that helps you breathe in and out. Some people with sleep disorders use them so they are not just for ALS patients. But if your Dad is not expelling all of his air on his own, the CO2 will build up and make him feel quite ill. It is also dangerous, of course, to have too much CO2 in the blood stream.

Try doing a search on Pipaps from the tab at the top of this screen. There are quite a few past threads on the subject, including which masks (the part that fits over the nose or mouth) people preferr and how they learned to get used to them. Hope this helps! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back