Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Mableton
I have als and I would like your input on transfer belts. If there is any that you would recommend please send me the info. Thanks for any help with this.
Rhonda

Hi Rhonda -

Look at www.posey.com. We got 3 different belts on that site. The basic white belt was useless - slipped up too high.

We bought a green belt with six handles that worked very well. used it for all transfers, including on a slide board. Helped us get a good grip, it stayed in position and we had pretty good control.

Lastly - we had a very elaborate blue belt that wrapped a round the waist, and also had extensions that wrapped around each leg. It has very substantial handles in each hip area. This was terrifically helpful for when Pat fell - two people could get her up very safely - never once had to call the paramedics.

At this point we only keep the elaborate belt for emergencies. We now use an overhead lift due to trunk weakness and no ability to bear weight.

My MAJOR word of caution - get an occupational or physical therapist to teach you effective transfer techniques - from bed, to commode to chair, to stair lift, etc. Nurses are no where near good enough at this. Insist on being taught by the experts. One hour of good teaching got us through two years with confidence and no injuries, not my back, nor to her.

Good luck - Beth

hello

I am a caregiver to my husband. We use a transfer belt. At first the homecare people used it also, but now they use a hoyal lift.

I found it so easy to use I was taught to rock Gary 3x with the belt and then tranfer Gary, I did not think I would be able to do it, Gary Is 6'3'' and 250 pounds, but the tranferee has to tust the transferer. You need to have and occupational therapist or some who knows how to use it, so the tranferer does it right so you do not get hurt or the transferer hurt themselves.

Gary is completly depended on people, so if I get him out of bed now I do use the hoyal lift as our transfer by belt did no longer work, as he was too weak, but I still use it to tranfer from wheelchair to bed.

The other problem with the tranfer belt is it could hurt the transferers back so you have to change as the disease changes, or either one is no longer comfortable doing the transfer that way.

Goodluck in tranfering by belt if you need anyother infor just ask me.

About two years ago, a physical therapist showed me how to transfer my father. I then did it many times a day, every day for two years until he died. In all that time, I was the only person who seemed to be able to do this. He was heavier and taller than me, and eventually was completely unable to help at all. Nurses and aids were never able to do it. I never needed any help. People would marvel at me doing this--friends and doctors/nurses, etc. Someone told us we needed to get a hoyer lift. The VA gave us a very expensive one. I knew as soon as I saw it that it would be useless to me. I did the caretaking on my own, and I could picture him swinging like a pendulum in it. I decided that others could take care of him without moving him (feeding, etc) but I would be the only to move him. It was very, very, involved, but in all that time, I never hurt him or me. It was a lot for me to take on, but looking back, I would do it again. I've gotten off track.....Anyway, having the therapist show me the technique was invaluable. We never used transfer board or belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back