Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fair Oaks Ranch
My pals began a new behavior last week. She has been dealing with a lot of losses - speech, ability to swallow food, choking on pheglm etc. and started sleeping more and more. Sleeps 11 hours at night. Gets up and tries to drink a little coffee, goes to bathroom then gets back in bed. Family comes over and she visits for awhile then wants to go back to bed. No appetite, is apathetic about just about everything. Using the Trilogy more and FVC down to 24%. When questioned about how she feels and looking for symptoms, she just say she feels sick. No fever or other outward symptoms. Any help from the community on this! Thanks.

My fvc%oe is lower 20's.

If I didn't use the Trilogy full time, I'd be exhausted within an hour.

I hope your "using the Trilogy more" is an understatement, otherwise I've a really good guess what the problem is....

In fairness, Greg, FVC does not always correlate with BiPAP hours/day needed as FVC is not always the best measure of respiratory function in PALS and pre-existing conditions, body type, etc. influence how the body adjusts to reduced air flow.

Also, the BiPAP settings themselves can be adjusted to work with the musculature that exists, or not...so, Roger, in addition to how many Trilogy hours your PALS is clocking, looking at the settings, which require at least occasional adjustment, would be another thought.

Best,
Laurie

Yes, Roger, I would call that depression. But of course, what to do?

Perhaps an anti-depressant would help, but your PALS would have to agree, and maybe she won't. It's a really hard place to be.

My Rx would be human touch. no need to talk about it, just touch her often.

I don't have any better advice than that.

Except for this: Don't forget about yourself. You need to keep your mental health intact as well. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back