Old 11-16-2018, 06:30 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Fair Oaks Ranch
State: TX
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Roger4143 is on a distinguished road

City: Fair Oaks Ranch
State: TX
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Roger4143 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this depression or something else

My pals began a new behavior last week. She has been dealing with a lot of losses - speech, ability to swallow food, choking on pheglm etc. and started sleeping more and more. Sleeps 11 hours at night. Gets up and tries to drink a little coffee, goes to bathroom then gets back in bed. Family comes over and she visits for awhile then wants to go back to bed. No appetite, is apathetic about just about everything. Using the Trilogy more and FVC down to 24%. When questioned about how she feels and looking for symptoms, she just say she feels sick. No fever or other outward symptoms. Any help from the community on this! Thanks.
Roger4143 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:11 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
GregK has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
GregK has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is this depression or something else

My fvc%oe is lower 20's.

If I didn't use the Trilogy full time, I'd be exhausted within an hour.

I hope your "using the Trilogy more" is an understatement, otherwise I've a really good guess what the problem is....
GregK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:54 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness, Greg, FVC does not always correlate with BiPAP hours/day needed as FVC is not always the best measure of respiratory function in PALS and pre-existing conditions, body type, etc. influence how the body adjusts to reduced air flow.

Also, the BiPAP settings themselves can be adjusted to work with the musculature that exists, or not...so, Roger, in addition to how many Trilogy hours your PALS is clocking, looking at the settings, which require at least occasional adjustment, would be another thought.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Roger, I would call that depression. But of course, what to do?

Perhaps an anti-depressant would help, but your PALS would have to agree, and maybe she won't. It's a really hard place to be.

My Rx would be human touch. no need to talk about it, just touch her often.

I don't have any better advice than that.

Except for this: Don't forget about yourself. You need to keep your mental health intact as well. Good luck.
Atsugi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
ability, back, bed, choking, depression, family, food, fvc, hours, night, speech, swallow, symptoms, trilogy