Old 11-01-2018, 01:07 PM #1 (permalink)

City: San Diego
State: CA
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
vltsra has a spectacular aura aboutvltsra has a spectacular aura about
City: San Diego
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
vltsra has a spectacular aura aboutvltsra has a spectacular aura about
Default It's been 3 years

This month marks 3 years since my husband was diagnosed. He is still progressing very slowly, for which I am thankful. His left hand is completely gone, his left arm is weak, and he tells me his right grip is getting weaker. He can still walk, talk, and eat. My caregiving role is currently limited to helping him dress, tying his shoes, and cutting meat, not to mention trying to keep his (and my) spirits up. That is a challenge with ALS as all of us know. We have been lucky enough to do a little traveling and have done some wonderful things together.

He is concerned that exercise may hasten his progression; it is a fine line between trying to get enjoyment out of life and not doing things that may be harmful. He is fatigued a lot and says exercise tends to wipe him out. He also has pinned a lot of hope on the Brainstorm trial; I'm cautious about it as so many things have been tried and failed.

I have so appreciated being on this forum for the support and help. In many cases you all have helped me sort out the best course of action as we go forward. My heart breaks for everyone here, but I'm so grateful to everyone.

V
vltsra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vltsra For This Useful Post:
affected (11-01-2018), NothingButLove (11-12-2018), wishmobbing (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:24 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished road
City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: It's been 3 years

I was told by the ALS clinic to not do strengthening exercises on muscles that had already been impacted. I am continuing stretching exercises. There is some differing opinions on the strengthening exercises, but I am choosing to follow the Clinic’s recommendations.
dldugan is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
vltsra (11-01-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:15 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Orange County
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Loverly is on a very distinguished road

Gosh, we went thru a horrible period where a PT had Kathy doing isometric strengthening exercises, and they were exhausting. We realized that to regain her strength would actually take a miracle so we cancelled the therapy. I don’t think there’s any benefit to extra exercise, but definitely many benefits to staying active as long as he can. As far as it hastening the disease, since it’s happening in the mitochondria and not in the muscles, I don’t see how it would speed up progression.

You may already know that poor respiration can also cause fatigue, so be sure his blood gasses are normal-ish.
Loverly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
dldugan (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Jen this is how it speeds progression.
Resistance exercise causes micro tears in the muscles. The repair of these micro tears causes an influx of muscle tissue and so the muscle mass increases with each repair. This is how we normally build muscles up.

A PALS does not have that same response and micro tears do not heal or heal poorly and the muscle can in fact waste faster as a result.

Hope that makes sense, it is meant in layman terms.
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to affected For This Useful Post:
dldugan (11-09-2018), Loverly (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 PM #5 (permalink)

Yes, as I lay in bed last night I thought, “you don’t really know what you’re talking about. Better correct that in the AM!”

Thanks.
Loverly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
affected (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Jen but you helped get it explained out again so it was good!
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, arm, caregiving, diagnosed, exercise, heart, hope, life, progression, support, trial