Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
CHI
State
Chaoyang
City
Beijing
Hey guys, my mother was diagnosed with ALS 2 years ago. She's been having trouble brushing her teeth lately so my dad got her a special ICU toothbrush set. We've been trying to use the new tool but my mom always chokes on the water.

I was just wondering how everyone else was dealing with dental issues. I guess its a small problem, but little things add up. The least we can do is make her a little more comfortable.

Tianyi, I've moved your post to its own thread, as it deserves its own discussion apart from Sue's.

Thank you and I apologize for barging in like that. I wasn't really sure how the system worked!

No trouble at all. I wanted to make sure your question was not lost in the discussion.

I have some choking issues- it helps if I tilt forward/tuck my chin down over the sink and the water/toothpaste can drip into the sink or onto a towel.

I don't know what your mum's abilities are, and if she can do this on her own or be supported somehow. But letting liquids run out of her mouth instead of back into her throat would be the simplest. If her needs are more complex than that, I am sure others can provide more advice.

When it comes time to brush your PALS teeth, keep in mind that "brushing the teeth" is not really the big deal.

The mouth of a paralyzed person can become a storehouse for airborne dust, dirt. broken bits of pills, and old rotten food.

So just go in there with a flashlight and mirror and dig out anything you see in there.

It will save digging out if you use a warm damp wrung out cloth or paper towel as often as she can tolerate. Sometimes you can use a Water-Pik and sop the water up immediately as it hits her mouth, if that makes sense. If she has a suction machine, that can work similarly, just like at the dentist.

We also used the single-use heavy-duty plastic flossers. It all depends on what works for her.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks all! I'll try letting her lean over to let the water spill out first. I never really thought of using plastic flossers, that seems like a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back