Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fair Oaks Ranch
My PALS has been losing strength in her hand but now experiencing pain in her hand, wrist, upper arm and shoulder. What could be causing this and has anyone found a pain remedy?

Hi Roger, there could be a few causes - can you tell us a little more?

Things like her mobility, does she have spasticity, is there a lot of muscle wasting, and is the arm kept supported? Is it all the time or is it at the end of the day, or at night in bed, or something else?

She needs shoulder and elbow support when seated and lying down. The muscles weaken and joints are at risk. The pain can come from the joint and/or pressure against areas that aren't as padded any more, whose circulation is also compromised.

And range of motion exercises (done by you or someone else) every day, where likewise the elbow and shoulder are supported -- the arm isn't dangling and the shoulder isn't being pulled without counter-pressure (essentially keeping the shoulder in its socket) to keep it constituted.

My PALS also has been experiencing increasing pain in his arms and shoulders. We do range of motion exercises at least 2-3x a day, but there is very little muscle supporting his joints at this point. He has just about lost all movement in his arms and the muscles are atrophied. His shoulders are the worst. We were at clinic last week and they ordered elbow blocks for his PWC. When his arms fall off the arm rests, he cannot get them back up. I'm hoping that they will help at least keep his arms on the rests and shoulders in a more supported position.

Yeah, you really don't want a PALS' arm falling off the arm rest -- a recipe for subluxation if not already. That's also why you hold the shoulder in place while moving any part of the arm.

If the elbow stop doesn't provide enough padding, feel free to throw in a gel overlay (they come in arm rest sizes/shapes) or just foam cut to the intended use.

I experience a lot of joint pain. I take tylenol and medical cannabis. The medical cannabis cream works almost instantly, although it only lasts a couple of hours. The cannabis drops are much longer lasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back