Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road
City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road
Default Hoyer lift sling to standing position?

Has anyone used a Hoyer lift sling to standing position?.

We have a Hoyer lift, but sling is designed for sitting position.

I am 280 pounds, and can "walk" with walker, but on days when caregiver is not here, my wife is not strong enough to get standing from shower chair. Once I am up, I can "shuffle to recliner".

I hate to use Hoyer to transfer to recliner to stand up to get dressed, but don't want to hurt wife's back.

Any suggestions?
Romeosc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoyer lift sling to standing position?

My wife's legs went from weak to useless in just a few weeks. I was transferring her without the Hoyer. Then one day, we both fell to the floor and I stayed down with her to support her head alignment. I had to call 911 to have EMT's pick us off the floor.

That's my way of saying don't try to do it without the Hoyer.

Could you attach a handle to the Hoyer's arm and come to a standing position by holding on to the arm while dear wife operates the lift's motor?
Atsugi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:27 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoyer lift sling to standing position?

Depending on how much strength you have, you could try hanging the sling using higher loops in back than in front to accomplish that (forming an angle) but try it when your caregiver is around!

Also, don't know if you can lock your rollator and use the handles for leverage when they are raised to the highest height? You can also attach exercise tubing or a rope.
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Romeosc (05-16-2018)

Tags
back, caregiver, chair, hoyer, hoyer lift, lift, shower, shower chair, sling, transfer, walker